Nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking to set up a 2 gallon nano tank that has full over the back filter, heater, going on it. Would like to create a mini set up of something. But do want to make sure it will work with small tank. I am planning on doing 2 water changes a week regardless of occupants. Any ideas, other than shrimp? Thanks

I think you could put a small group of boraras brigittae... Maybe 3. Some will vehemently disagree with me however. The bioload would not be an issue... But that would be a pretty tight space. In my experience they are not overly active and it might work.

Your right fort, I do disagree.

Yes it is tight space and yes boraras brigittae are a real small microfish, but 3 is too little of a school. 6 at the least, In My Experience.

Yeah, it would definitely be pushing any conventional limits. I agree on a larger group as part of a normal community tank, but by themselves 3 or 4 could work.

Chili rasboras really should have 5 gallons at the absolute minimum, and 3 or 4 is too small for such a social fish Putting 4 in a 2 gallon tank is asking for stress and death.

Why not forgo the 2g for something a little bigger but still nano?
Shrimp are cool though!

Chili rasboras really should have 5 gallons at the absolute minimum, and 3 or 4 is too small for such a social fish Putting 4 in a 2 gallon tank is asking for stress and death.

With my experience in observing these fish, I would have to disagree. It might not be ideal... But "asking for stress and death" is a bit overstated in my opinion.

Why not forgo the 2g for something a little bigger but still nano?
Shrimp are cool though!

I think that is a good idea. Even a 5 gal tank would give you a whole lot more possibilities--especially if you are looking for more than a shrimp tank.

Last edited:
I think for non-invert nanos 5gal should be the minimum.
2gal is perfect for shrimp though! I've been kinda wanting a tiger shrimp nano lately, with lots of plants.
I'm a big fan of nano tanks, actually. As long as people know the work that they recquire.

Back
Top Bottom