Natural PH Control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locked word

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Just wondering about PH - mine always seems to test around 7.2 which I think is fairly high. Are there natural ways to control/lower PH? What is an ideal (as far as I know it is mid to high 6s)? I realize most fish will have different ideal phs. Right now I am stocked with tetras (rummies), hatchets, cories, a pleco, some white clouds, and endlers.

Also, how often should I be cleaning my tank, and how much of a change? I tend to change every 1.5-2 weeks, 30% - but my pleco seems to produce a heck of a lot of waste. (I am now aware it was not a wise move to get him with such a small tank).

Thanks for all your help.

- J

PH of 7.2 is fine don't worry about it. I would do that 30% every week with a good gravel vac. I think you will find your fish will be more active and more colorful.

Your pH is fine. I'm at 8.8+ with Angels, Rummies, Serpae's, Cories, and shrimp. In fact, the Angels spawned about a month ago.

I agree with rich, increase your water changes. I do a minimum of 50% weekly. It's a LOT easier to maintain a lower Nitrate reading than it is to decrease a higher one. The pleco is going to produce a lot of waste which will drive up the trates.

wow 7.2?? i only wish, im with fishyfanatic normal ph range here is 8.7+
with 7.2 i wouldn't mess with it at all...

My tanks range from 6.6 to 7.4 pH. The trick is a steady pH rather than a specific number. If you pH starts swinging one way or the other you'll start losing fish.

Are your fish acting "normal"? If so, leave them be! Many people keep their fish out of the ideal pH range and they still breed like crazy, which is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom