Need a Filter Solution for 5 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smvgrey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had my newly aquired Betta in a 1/2 gallon tank - stagnant water. Lots of stringy clear white things floating around. I decided I wanted to expand his living space and give him a 5 gallon tank.

I set up the tank, added gravel and fake plants and a hiding rock and added the water and treated it. Once I added the fish he was very sprite - I am noticing however that the current seems strong and he paddles his little heart out in some spots trying to move. It seems difficult for him to settle to a spot.

My thing is - I don't want to buy a new filter. I also don't want to be rubber banding pantyhose or attaching duct tape to anything. But is there a practical solution for reducing the current from the filter? I want him to have a filter to keep the water cleaner but at the same time I don't want it to be a nuisance or anything that would stress him out. Is there something you can buy to attach to the filter that comes with the ECLIPSE HEX 5? Or do I need one - will he adjust? It's just day 1 - his old tank he'd sit at the bottom and stare at my alarm clock when he was in a restful mood. He hasn't been in one of those moods yet. Maybe i should buy him his own alarm clock - he loves that thing.

help!

Last edited:
Try packing it with a piece of filter foam (not familiar with this filter) or some other media that will slow the water down as much as possible.

Up the water line so the filter doesn't have to splash into the tank. I used to have a 5 gal hex tank and when I kept the water line up to the filter output, there were no problems with the current.

just go to the local lfs and buy more filter foam, doeasnt really matter what kind..too big you ca always cut it in half and just stuff it in there

This can be a dilemma for bettas - being in an Eclipse tank. I tried a betta in Eclipse 3 and 5 gallons with no success.

Some people have said that shortening the intake tube can help slow the flow a little. Others do rubberband pantyhose to the intake tube or try to stretch the hose across the outflow area. Be careful with additional foam or floss in the filter area. I tried to cut sponges to fit the chamber before the bio-wheel. I ended up with a little puddle on the desk. The water does flow through that area fast and if you try to slow it down you may make the water try to escape in another way, like down the side of the tank. The best things to try are just using pantyhose, or a sponge around the intake tube, and /or pantyhose over the outflow area. I tried the pantyhose over the outflow area and it worked a little bit.

About the only other thing you could do is take the bio-wheel filter tray out completely and use a sponge filter in the tank. This is what I did with my betta in the Eclipse tank before I eventually tore it down and put the betta into a regular 5.5 gallon tank. Good luck with whatever method you try.

There is another post, on another site, but I can't find the thing. Basically what they did was take a 2 inch (or so) plactic tubing (as long as you need) cut it in half. Then they used suction cups and attached the tubing under the flow of the filter. In the end the water hits the tubing, flows sideways down the hlaf pipe into the tank. It decreases the flow alot. Hard to explain but it had pictures with it and it looked like a great idea.

I'll keep looking. I just saw the post last week too and I can't remember where.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, do not use the filter foam. It will cause the water flow to back up and overflow onto the stand/table/whever you have it.

Tawo- I am invisioning what you are trying to describe and that sounds like a great idea. I'd be interested in seeing the pictures of it constructed.

I have personally found that bettas that come from small cups in fish stores take awhile to adapt to a tank with a current. Their swimming muscles need to adpat. I usually just make sure there are spots in the tank with low current. The fish can then choose to avoid those spots. Within days they should be able to with stand quite a bit of current.

I'm still lookin but it was the equivalent of putting the sauser on the bottom of the tank when you add water.

This is what I pictured the first time you explained it. It is a tough dilemma though, to decrease the flow of water around the tank yet still maintain the same gph of filtration. Hmmm...quite the mystery.

There is another post, on another site, but I can't find the thing. Basically what they did was take a 2 inch (or so) plactic tubing (as long as you need) cut it in half. Then they used suction cups and attached the tubing under the flow of the filter. In the end the water hits the tubing, flows sideways down the hlaf pipe into the tank. It decreases the flow alot. Hard to explain but it had pictures with it and it looked like a great idea.

I'll keep looking. I just saw the post last week too and I can't remember where.

I think I saw that one. I think it was on one of the sites I visit regularly. So here or APC are most likely.

I used to have a Penguin bio-wheel. I gave up on it because the current was too strong for my betta and too noisy for me. I cut up a water bottle and taped part of the curved plastic from the middle of the bottle to the filter's cover. The plastic then curved naturally over the outflow. This directed the water into the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom