Need a medium sized top swimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to move, in the next few months, and once I do I'll have some decorating money left over, and since I have a small nursery aquarium with some fish that will be getting decently large after a year, I'm getting their permanent tank shortly after.

Currently in the tank are two Eclipse Catfish (also known as Sun Catfish) and one African Brown Knife. Both are incredibly docile (even though the Knife is rumored to be aggressive, and I've seen some nasty ones, seems I hit the jackpot. He's really inquisitive, always keeping an eye on what's going on outside of the tank, and loves to siddle up to the catfish and just hover with them. The knife should get 8-12 inches, and the two catfish anywhere from 12-14, but some people have claimed that they've seen eclipses up to 18 before.

I'm planning on using a sand substrate (or really fine gravel) some real driftwood and either fake or real grass-like plants (depending on if the species of fish I'm looking for tears up live plants or not.)

So.. here's my dilemma.. I need a top swimmer that will match the other two species roughly in size. I want only two, three at tops, so something that's a heavy schooling fish won't work.

I'd appreciate if people would include brackish fish that can also thrive in freshwater, although these are my last choices (I've been looking deeper into Archer Fish care, and they can do farely well in fresh water, and in nature they are found as adults in freshwater, but I'd hate to stress the fish out in any way or form, so these are a last resort.. even though I'm in love with the species.)

They need to be peaceful, or if not, semi-aggressive that won't nip fins. I need my Knife to be comfortable and not harassed, and it needs it's fin.

Color-wise, I'd like any mixture or black, tan, yellow, and white. Something that would look nice with the other two.

So, two bottom swimmers, one mid, and two to three top swimmers. Thank you all for the help in advance!

Chiroptera said:
I'm about to move, in the next few months, and once I do I'll have some decorating money left over, and since I have a small nursery aquarium with some fish that will be getting decently large after a year, I'm getting their permanent tank shortly after.

Currently in the tank are two Eclipse Catfish (also known as Sun Catfish) and one African Brown Knife. Both are incredibly docile (even though the Knife is rumored to be aggressive, and I've seen some nasty ones, seems I hit the jackpot. He's really inquisitive, always keeping an eye on what's going on outside of the tank, and loves to siddle up to the catfish and just hover with them. The knife should get 8-12 inches, and the two catfish anywhere from 12-14, but some people have claimed that they've seen eclipses up to 18 before.

I'm planning on using a sand substrate (or really fine gravel) some real driftwood and either fake or real grass-like plants (depending on if the species of fish I'm looking for tears up live plants or not.)

So.. here's my dilemma.. I need a top swimmer that will match the other two species roughly in size. I want only two, three at tops, so something that's a heavy schooling fish won't work.

I'd appreciate if people would include brackish fish that can also thrive in freshwater, although these are my last choices (I've been looking deeper into Archer Fish care, and they can do farely well in fresh water, and in nature they are found as adults in freshwater, but I'd hate to stress the fish out in any way or form, so these are a last resort.. even though I'm in love with the species.)

They need to be peaceful, or if not, semi-aggressive that won't nip fins. I need my Knife to be comfortable and not harassed, and it needs it's fin.

Color-wise, I'd like any mixture or black, tan, yellow, and white. Something that would look nice with the other two.

So, two bottom swimmers, one mid, and two to three top swimmers. Thank you all for the help in advance!

Those fish plus archers need 200+ gallons of water
Also brown ghost knives are freshwater, eclipse catfish are freshwater, and archer fish are freshwater
So mixing them will kill them- the freshwater fish if put in brackish( true brackish water has marine salt not aquarium salt) or the brackish if in fresh

75-100 would be ideal. If I have to, I'll go 125, but that's out of my comfort zone.

Well with those fish get a 125 and no way archer fish u less you want like a 250 gallon I would add a large school of perhaps rainbowfish or something maybe Congo tetras?

Will fish like rainbow fish, that are 4-6 inches, will they be in danger from the cats? I know they'll eat anything that will fit in their mouths.

And thanks for the reply. Maybe brackish fish that live naturally in fresh water in their place of origin just move back and forth. And the archers I've seen in freshwater are unhappy? It just seems strange that a fish that is raised in freshwater can't stay there. :\ Oh well, thanks for the suggestion!

So.. any other smaller top swimmers that would still be okay in a 125?

Chiroptera said:
75-100 would be ideal. If I have to, I'll go 125, but that's out of my comfort zone.

The knife gets too big for those tank sizes
I'd rehome him

A African brown knife only gets 8-10 inches if he gets a 100 or 125 it should be fine

8 inches of fish in a tank that has 100 gallons? Is there a reason? Is he too active? I'd like detailed explanations before I get rid of my fish.

No It's fine in that tank but I would go 125 or else you won't have enough bottom space for 2 eclipse catfish and a brown knife

Chiroptera said:
8 inches of fish in a tank that has 100 gallons? Is there a reason? Is he too active? I'd like detailed explanations before I get rid of my fish.

The inch per gal rule is innaccurate and disregarded by all but a few members of AA that have been here for a while
For example would you put a-
5 inch Oscar
2 inch koi
2 inch common goldfish
1 inch black ghost knife
In a ten gallon?

Wait the tank is 100 gallons? Thats fine for a knife fish.

He is not using the inch per gallon rule in this example he is just saying a 8-10 inch fish is ok in a 100 gallon. Which it is.

emerald76 said:
The knife gets too big for those tank sizes
I'd rehome him

Sorry people keep getting me mixed up telling me brown knifed need a huge tank

Yah it's a black ghost and clown knifed that get like 20 inches plus

Oh I think the rainbows will be fine they are very quick I would get a larger type then like Australians or bosemani and buy them as adults if you want rainbows

To answer the OPs question i would get a school of silver dollars in a 100 gallon tank ;)

That would also look nice a school of like 5-6 spotted silver dollars would look nice

Alright.. I was about to say, no way would I put a 25 inch long fish in a hundred gallon. No, black ghosts are too much for me.

And I don't use the inch/gallon, per say.

I was led to believe african brown knives are mid-swimmers, and mine doesn't glide on the bottom, it stays above the area the catfish swim, although maybe not the *middle* it's not low enough to consider surface area exclusively.

I like to say that fish that will stay exclusively on the bottom or top need surface area more than anything, which is why I was originally going to get a long/breeder custom 100. But once I got interest in top swimmers, I started to wonder if a standard would be better, so the shallower water wouldn't cause crowding, so for now I'm being safe and using standard measurements.

Would it be better to just leave it be? I love completely balanced tanks, but if the one I'm looking at can't handle it..

Oh I think the rainbows will be fine they are very quick I would get a larger type then like Australians or bosemani and buy them as adults if you want rainbows

Alright. I may try that. Thank you, I love the rainbows' shape anyways, I'll keep them in mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom