Need a schooling species.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sa777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted 55g tank with 1 barracuda (freshwater of course) , 1 pike cichlid, 1 sun/eclipse catfish, and 2 birchir. I have 3 55g aqueon filters. I need a middle swimming school that won't be eaten. Silver dollars are cool but I read that they will eat my plants. Is this true. If the silvers are out of the question can anyone suggest a school of fish that get at least 4" (so they don't get destroyed!). Thank you :)

Denison barbs get about that size, but most fish that size will shoal instead. Denisons also prefer a planted tank.

I wouldnt add anything tbh. That tank is overstocked as it is.

+1

The catfish shouldn't be in this tank, it'll grow too large and you'll stunt it. A 55 is an absolute cramped minimum for the barracuda by itself, much less with other fish in the tank. I'd suggest work on correcting your current stock instead of trying to cram more in there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What bichir do you have? You would have to rehome the barracuda because they get pretty huge. The catfish should probably be rehomed as well. Depending on the bichir you could keep that with the pikes. After this has been done, you can look into stocking a schooling species.

Back
Top Bottom