need advice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izzycomosy

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 weeks ago I set up a 260 litre bow fronted tank,I did the fishless cycle
I put a pinch of food into the tank,anyway I came on to this forum and found out about Seachem stability,I started using this monday and it states to use for 1 week then I can add fish? I took some water readings
yesterday and they are the same as the tank I have my cichlids in. ie good conditions ammonia 0 nitrite 0.1 nitrate 0 and Ph is 7....my question is...can I move the fish yet or leave it until the end of the week,or shall I move them one at a time? over a few day period

I don't have personal experience with Seachem Stability but without any nitrates I don't see how your tank could be cycled. Also in a "cycled" tank nitrites are 0.

When you do move your fish you should definitely do it slowy. Add a couple, wait a few days-week and add a few more until stocked.

whatever you do, take your time, its easier on you and your pocket.. i rushed when i set up my first 10 gal and spent about $50 on livestock and all that survied was 4 glo lite tetras////

The tank is not cycled since there are Nitrites and no Nitrates. A pinch of fish food is going to take a long time to cycle the tank because first it has to start decaying. Since you have an established tank, run the filter for the new tank on the cycled tank for about 2 weeks. Then move the filter over to the new tank and slowly add fish.

re cycling my tank

one thing I did do was take out the large blue sponge from the bottom of my jewel filter on the 460 litre tank as it needed replacing anyway..there are 2 and my filter watch told me to replace one, so when I did a water change I put the sponge into the bucket and rinsed it really well then I added the bucket water with the bacteria into the new filter...not the wises method but the sponge from my 460 litre was to big for my 260 litre filter box...I know I should have cut it to fit..I thought about that after...duhh but would this have helped it to mature in 2 weeks maybe???

You dont have a cycled tank until the nitrites and ammonia are 0 and you show signs of nitrates

Back
Top Bottom