Need advice on 5-gallon tank: Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a 5-gallon glass tank (The only one that will fit in my room, it's 13.5 inches tall, 7 inches thick and 12 inches long), and I am gathering supplies for cycling and planning the fish I want to get. I'd like to start a heated freshwater tank with live plants. I already have a power filter, a light, a little bit of aquarium salt and I have done a little bit of research. I have a ton of questions though.

1.I heard that when cycling, adding bacteria from an established freshwater tank can speed up the nitrogen cycle. I have access to one established tank, and I wanted to ask if the bacteria is the dark-greenish goopy slime that I find in the filter and on the underside of the lid. If it is, can I just scoop some up, rub it on a sponge then stick it inside my power filter?

2.My power filter has also been used in an saltwater tank before, is it ok to reuse if I completely rinse it clean?

3. How long do you recommend I cycle the tank for? I know the cycle is complete when ammonia, nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are below 40ppm, but I read that some people recommend continuing to cycle for 2 more weeks before adding your first fish.

4. And then there's my fish problem. I was thinking of keeping a betta and about 6 cardinal tetras. I am afraid of overwhelming my tank's bio-capacity, so I suppose I will have to introduce them to the tank several weeks apart. The thing is, should I add the betta first or the tetras. I know bettas are territorial, so I was afraid if I add the betta first it will attack the tetras when I add them. But if I add the betta last, I'm afraid of stressing the betta out. I also read that I should only introduce 2 to 3 fish at a time, but tetras are schooling fish, and I heard they NEED to be introduced in at least groups of 6. What do I do?

5.Is it ok to add a snail? I read that they actually help reduce ammonia and don't have much impact on the bio-load of the tank.

6. How much light do I need? The spot I chose for the tank is shady, and I have one decently bright light. But I want live plants so I don't know if that's enough. And any plant recommendations?

I'm a beginner, so I'd appreciate any help that I can get, thanks in advance!

I think 6 cardinals in a 5 gallon is too much, but that's IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the cardinals would be too big for your tank, you are probably better off going with 1 betta and a snail. It depends on your bettas temperament but some of them can live with snails and be fine.

What about green neon tetras? They are smaller, but I heard they are nippy? I don't want them to attack the betta. I'd prefer to have more fish than just a betta.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I recently got a 5-gallon glass tank (The only one that will fit in my room, it's 13.5 inches tall, 7 inches thick and 12 inches long), and I am gathering supplies for cycling and planning the fish I want to get. I'd like to start a heated freshwater tank with live plants. I already have a power filter, a light, a little bit of aquarium salt and I have done a little bit of research. I have a ton of questions though.

1.I heard that when cycling, adding bacteria from an established freshwater tank can speed up the nitrogen cycle. I have access to one established tank, and I wanted to ask if the bacteria is the dark-greenish goopy slime that I find in the filter and on the underside of the lid. If it is, can I just scoop some up, rub it on a sponge then stick it inside my power filter?

2.My power filter has also been used in an saltwater tank before, is it ok to reuse if I completely rinse it clean?

3. How long do you recommend I cycle the tank for? I know the cycle is complete when ammonia, nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are below 40ppm, but I read that some people recommend continuing to cycle for 2 more weeks before adding your first fish.

4. And then there's my fish problem. I was thinking of keeping a betta and about 6 cardinal tetras. I am afraid of overwhelming my tank's bio-capacity, so I suppose I will have to introduce them to the tank several weeks apart. The thing is, should I add the betta first or the tetras. I know bettas are territorial, so I was afraid if I add the betta first it will attack the tetras when I add them. But if I add the betta last, I'm afraid of stressing the betta out. I also read that I should only introduce 2 to 3 fish at a time, but tetras are schooling fish, and I heard they NEED to be introduced in at least groups of 6. What do I do?

5.Is it ok to add a snail? I read that they actually help reduce ammonia and don't have much impact on the bio-load of the tank.

6. How much light do I need? The spot I chose for the tank is shady, and I have one decently bright light. But I want live plants so I don't know if that's enough. And any plant recommendations?

1. The dark green goopy stuff is not bacteria. That sounds like algae. You cannot see bacteria. If you have access to a Nother tank I would run your filter on that tank for two weeks and you'll be all set. As long as you trust the tank.

2. Yes it's completely safe if cleaned well. You can add a couple drops of bleach or vinegar to water and scrub it. Rinse it well and allow to dry for a day or so.

3. If you follow what I said in #1, it will be instantly cycled. When you transfer the filter from the other tank to your tank, keep all the media wet with tank water.

4. 6 Cardinals in that tank won't work. They should be in a minimum of 10g. There's not many fish that will do well in a 5g but a Betta will be perfect. Most often, a Betta should be a species only tank as they will usually kill anything else. There are some that are the exception to the rule but that is few and far between. After all, they are fighting fish.

5. I've never heard of a snail reducing ammonia levels in a tank but I don't see a problem adding one. It would be up to the Betta accepting it or not.

6. I can't really help on the plants. Not my thing but I've always heard Anubias, Java Moss, Java Fern, and Hornwort are good, easy plants for starters. My recommendation would be to start with fish and get a good handle on that and then go for a try at plants after you've mastered the fish.

Hope this helps and good luck with things !! ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I would plug the tank size, filter, and number of fish into the calculator at AquaAdvisor and see what the recommendations are.
As for your questions:
1. Adding bacteria via filter media from an established filter will help jump start a new filter. The bacteria will be in the filter media (seeded media).
2. The filter is fine. Just wash/rinse it in tap water, no chemical. You could use vinegar or bleach but be sure to rinse it really well and let it air dry. As long as the salt encrustations are removed, it should be fine.
3. The duration depends on the test results. If you add seeded media, you should be able to add fish. Just keep up with the water changes and test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You want to keep the ammonia and nitrite at or close to zero as much as possible through water changes. If you are doing a fishless cycle, then you will need an ammonia source such as pure ammonia or fish food. Obviously the ammonia levels will be unsafe using this route and you will want to hold off adding any livestock until the levels are safe.
4. IMO the tank is too small for a school of fish. Maybe a single Betta or a colony of shrimp.
5. Snails will not reduce ammonia. If anything, they may contribute to it since they consume algae and biofilm and concert it to waste. But they should be fine in the tank.
6. What kind of light are you using? Some low light plants include mosses, Java Fern, and anubias.

I type slowly and someone beat me to it...

I wouldn't add a schooling fish with a betta in such a small tank. If you want to have more fish than just the betta then maybe consider getting 2-3 male guppies, they come in lots of colors and would give you a few fish instead of just one. I have heard however that bettas do have more personality and so their personality makes up for them being the only fish in the tank.

You know what, I think I'm being selfish. I should be thinking about what my fish need instead of what I wish for in a tank. I will keep only one male betta fish in my tank and try to make him a happy fishy.
Thanks for the replies, I will consider putting my filter in the established tank, but the established tank has a completely sealed lid and my power filter hangs on the side. I kinda don't know where to put it.
Should I put I lot of plants for my betta? or do they prefer open space? What about hiding spots and rocks and such. Every article I read about them seems to say something different.

I wouldn't add a schooling fish with a betta in such a small tank. If you want to have more fish than just the betta then maybe consider getting 2-3 male guppies, they come in lots of colors and would give you a few fish instead of just one. I have heard however that bettas do have more personality and so their personality makes up for them being the only fish in the tank.

It really depends on the Betta. I've seen bettas terrorize even guppies. I keep my Betta with ADF and they pay no attention to each other.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You know what, I think I'm being selfish. I should be thinking about what my fish need instead of what I wish for in a tank. I will keep only one male betta fish in my tank and try to make him a happy fishy.
Thanks for the replies, I will consider putting my filter in the established tank, but the established tank has a completely sealed lid and my power filter hangs on the side. I kinda don't know where to put it.
Should I put I lot of plants for my betta? or do they prefer open space? What about hiding spots and rocks and such. Every article I read about them seems to say something different.

I have my Betta in a 10g and as said above some ADF with him. I have lower decorations and some plants but I leave the top open and he loves the swimming space. It's surprising how active they are when they got more room than a little fish bowl :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If a Betta is what you want, then cycle the tank and add a nice one.

Easy plants
Java Ferns
Anubias
Crypts if you use sand and add root tabs

If you really want a small group you could try one of the micro rasboras. I personally don't think they're flashy or 'finny' enough to bother a betta. Again depends on the individual betta. Keep us posted about what you decide!

If you really want a small group you could try one of the micro rasboras. I personally don't think they're flashy or 'finny' enough to bother a betta. Again depends on the individual betta. Keep us posted about what you decide!

I would think a Betta would terrorize them. They are shy to begin with.
But I've had some very aggressive Bettas.

I would think a Betta would terrorize them. They are shy to begin with.
But I've had some very aggressive Bettas.

I keep emerald eye rasbora with my girlfriend's betta and have no issues with the combination at all

However, as said many times, your mileage may vary

You could keep a few scarlet badis. They're tiny inch long fish but can be shy and generally shouldn't be kept with other fish.

I have cycled and stocked my tank :D

Now there are a school of lambchop rasboras (I originally thought they were harlequins), some whisker shrimp (That the pet shop labeled as ghost shrimp) and a beautiful black orchid Betta

My ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all good, and the fish seem to be very lively. I need a name for the betta though, I can't think of one that fits.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427638100.086142.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427638138.094351.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427638169.352674.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427638213.788492.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom