Need advice on cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday did 2 water changes got nitrites down from 5ppm to 1-2ppm, nitrates have been steady at 10ppm, ammo was 0-.25 hard to tell, filled tank up let it be didn't dose ammo nothing, today checked tank ammo still same, nitrites jumped back to 5ppm and nitrates are at 80ppm. 2 questions. 1 how did nitrites go up an now that my nitrates are shooting up what should I do

A little more info would help: is this a fishless cycle? What size tank? What ammonia, if any, are you using? How long have you been cycling? Nitrates rising is a good thing; that means at least some nitrites are being converted. Nitrites going up means ammonia is being converted to nitrite. Looks like you're in the nitrite phase which can be the longest. I'd keep dosing ammonia.

Yes Fishless,55 gallon, ace hardware ammo, 16 days into cycle, ammo up to 4ppm until Monday I did a huge WC because nitrites were so high after I filled the tank I didn't do anything until wednesday I added ammo to 1ppm just to keep BB happy, then yesterday I did the 2 water changes and that led to my question

Back
Top Bottom