Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, brand new to the forum. I have just started an aquarium and am in a bit of a pickle. I dont know if its 15 or 20 gallons. Its an old Hex tank my mother had. Each panel is 9"w x 18"h. I think its 15 gallons but didn't know if someone was better at math then I. :brows: Next question! I got gravel fake plants and a nice center piece with a bubble in it.....WHAT NEXT!? I dropped in one of those cycling tablets. What fish would be suited to live together? I just like colorful, interesting fish, but will most likely just buying from PetSmart so my choices arn't that grand. I know I sound dumb but I just want to do this right!

RedNeck said:
Hello, brand new to the forum. I have just started an aquarium and am in a bit of a pickle. I dont know if its 15 or 20 gallons. Its an old Hex tank my mother had. Each panel is 9"w x 18"h. I think its 15 gallons but didn't know if someone was better at math then I. :brows: Next question! I got gravel fake plants and a nice center piece with a bubble in it.....WHAT NEXT!? I dropped in one of those cycling tablets. What fish would be suited to live together? I just like colorful, interesting fish, but will most likely just buying from PetSmart so my choices arn't that grand. I know I sound dumb but I just want to do this right!

You should get guppys, neon tetras, plattys, maybe some ghost shrimp and corydoras to help you clean the bottom of your tank. You should be able to find those at petsmart.

My avatar is my tank and I have a picture of it in my gallery! I hope that helps in advice.

Thanks Mumma. Wow, this is alot to take in :blink:. I had these water safe plus tablets....couldn't tell you if they work or not. Thinking of doing the cycling with a fish or two, perhaps guppies? I wreckin I will buy a water tester when I go to get the fish. So when the tank is cycling I will have to change the water more often then when it has cycled? Sorry my head is spinning, haha.

RedNeck said:
Thanks Mumma. Wow, this is alot to take in :blink:. I had these water safe plus tablets....couldn't tell you if they work or not. Thinking of doing the cycling with a fish or two, perhaps guppies? I wreckin I will buy a water tester when I go to get the fish. So when the tank is cycling I will have to change the water more often then when it has cycled? Sorry my head is spinning, haha.

Sounds like a good plan. I would recommend you get some prime. It dechlorinates, binds heavy metals and temporarily converts ammonia to a less toxic form. You want to fish in cycle with only a small amount of fish. That way the ammonia and nitrIte doesn't rise as quickly. Saving you from doing more than one daily water change and keeping the fish safer. Make sure you get a liquid test kit not the strips. You will have to test the water daily and if ammonia or nitrite are .25ppm or above you do a water change to bring it back down. Once the tank is cycled - stable 0 ammonia and nitrite and rising nitrate - for a week you can look into slowly adding more fish. 1-2 a week until fully stocked. After the tank is cycled you can do 1-2 weekly water changes to keep nitrAte under 20ppm.
A good way to find out an odd sized tanks volume is to take a 1 gallon jug and use that to fill the tank. How many jugs it takes = how many gallons.

I did a gallon and it was just about an inch. Thats why I'm assuming 15gal. just because 18gal. sounds goofy. Are two guppies ok or does there have to be more. Is there a better fish to cycle with?

RedNeck said:
I did a gallon and it was just about an inch. Thats why I'm assuming 15gal. just because 18gal. sounds goofy. Are two guppies ok or does there have to be more. Is there a better fish to cycle with?

2, maybe even 3, guppies is good to start with. You have to make sure you pick a fish you want to keep in the tank long term. You can cycle with just about any fish, if you do water changes to keep toxins low, except the most sensitive like ottos, rams, etc.

Thank you very much. I really like guppies, mollies, barbs...and somthing neat looking to clean the bottom. Seen these dwarf gouramis today at petsmart but don't know much about them.

Your welcome. Guppys are a good fit for a tall 15g tank but mollies and barbs are going to get a bit big. You might be able to have a school of Pygmy cories but that depends on the footprint of the tank (floor space). You'll have 4-8 weeks to think about and research fish while your tank cycles. :)

So I went out and got some prime, a master test kit and 3 beautiful guppies. I know everyone seems to prefer the fishless cycle but.... I added the prime and waited a bit. I then did a test and the results were as follows. Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0. I acclimated the guppies by floating the bag then introducing some of the tank water to the bag water.....total time of about 30 minutes. I will now keep testing and doing water changes as needed. Now when I do a water change do I just leave the water sit out for a while to get to room temp. before I add it?

RedNeck said:
So I went out and got some prime, a master test kit and 3 beautiful guppies. I know everyone seems to prefer the fishless cycle but.... I added the prime and waited a bit. I then did a test and the results were as follows. Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0. I acclimated the guppies by floating the bag then introducing some of the tank water to the bag water.....total time of about 30 minutes. I will now keep testing and doing water changes as needed. Now when I do a water change do I just leave the water sit out for a while to get to room temp. before I add it?

Do you have a heater and temp gauge for the tank? If you know the temp of the tank water, you can feel the new water with your fingers and compare it with the tank water temp. Good luck.

To do a water change you can use a bucket or a hose.
When using a bucket: drain the water from the tank then fill your bucket/s with temperature matched water, add the prime to treat the amount of water in the bucket and it's safe to add to the tank right away.
When using a hose or python water changer add enough prime to treat the entire amount of water in the tank ( after you have removed some water). Make sure the water from the hose is within a few degrees of the tank. Most conect a water changer (python) to an inside tap so they can regulate the temperature. Fill the tank.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with fish in cycling if done correctly. Don't let the fishless cycle article scare you. Some prefer fishless and others prefer fish in - same result in the end.

Ok, day two! I just tested the water and I'm alittle confused. Temp.-78 Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 P.H.-8.0. I think the PH is alittle high. I thought I read 7.5 for livebearers. Any reason everything else is 0? I am doing the test exactly how the instructions read. Fish seem very happy, good appetite and good energy.

RedNeck said:
Ok, day two! I just tested the water and I'm alittle confused. Temp.-78 Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 P.H.-8.0. I think the PH is alittle high. I thought I read 7.5 for livebearers. Any reason everything else is 0? I am doing the test exactly how the instructions read. Fish seem very happy, good appetite and good energy.

It will take a while, depending in the amount of fish and the size if the tank, to build up to a level the test kit can register. Might take hours, days or weeks (in large tanks with only a couple of small fish). pH of 8 isn't anything to worry about. As long as its stable it's fine.

Ok....Day 2 if anyone still feels like following:lol:. Ammonia-0.25 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 and P.H.-8.0. My little guppies are looking happier than ever and really starting to interact with their surroundings. (y)

Mumma, at what numbers should I be doing a pwc? I also added some pics to my album of the guppies!! I do not know how to post pictures to the forum:facepalm: And sorry for the quality of the pictures. I am taking them on my phone and those guppies don't want to sit still!

Back
Top Bottom