Need help !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpreece

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the fish aquarium world and want to set up a 20 gallon molly tank. What tank mates would get along and what about a bottom feeder to help with the tank. Right now it's a empty tank and I'm wanting to get it up and going on the cycling process.

I'm new to the fish aquarium world and want to set up a 20 gallon molly tank. What tank mates would get along and what about a bottom feeder to help with the tank. Right now it's a empty tank and I'm wanting to get it up and going on the cycling process.
Platys, Guppies, sword tails and danios are like perfect for Mollys. I believe Plecos for bottom feeders get along with just about any fish.

Hi,
Welcome to the community!

A 20G tank is a little bit small for Mollies. Mollies can get over 4+" long.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater & Brackish Aquariums: Dalmatian Molly Livebearers

The importance of having enough room for the fish you are going to get includes being able to grow to the full potential of their specimen, health in general, and the ability for the fish to live in a space needed for them to swim and interact with their tankmates, also the bioload for the amount of water to preserve water quality.

Possibly consider a larger tank to be able to fully appreciate and care for the fish. Or perhaps there is another kind of fish you might enjoy keeping.

What is it about Mollies which you like most? Someone here might be able to think of a good alternative.

Got the tank set up, treatment has been in so now comes the wait time; grrrrr..... I want fish NOW.. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 59
  • E73182DC-BA49-4203-9103-A81498DD01E2.jpg
    E73182DC-BA49-4203-9103-A81498DD01E2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 67
How many mollies are you wanting? they are a social fish and the bare minimum recommendation is 3. with having at least two females for every male (i think this is a lowball ratio number and from personal experience recommend at least 3 females for every male).

for bottom feeders you can't go wrong with corydoras. however they are social fish and you need at least 5 for them to be comfortable (of the same species).

as for other suitable tankmates I keep my mollies with neon tetras (recommended bare minimum for them in my personal opinion is 8, i have 12).
but guppies, platies, and sword tails should work too.
you might also want to try a mystery snail or two.....they can help clean your tank of algae.

Good luck!

You could do platys, guppies, most tetras, and rasboras. you could do a dwarf gourami as well, i've kept all of those fish together at one time or another without problem. for algae you could do a lot of things, a bristlenose pleco, siamese algae eaters, otocinclus catfish, mystery snails, nerite snails, my personal favorite are rabbit snails, you could do those. shrimp help with algae, you could do some cherry, ghost or amano shrimp as well on top of everything.

Sounds like a good choice. Responsible stocking will also help with water quality issues.

Jc made a good point if you find a clown they are smaller.

Thats a 20h so if you went pleco thats all I would do. Depending on your substrate (not rough) you could do cories or kuhlis.

Jc made a good point if you find a clown they are smaller.

Thats a 20h so if you went pleco thats all I would do. Depending on your substrate (not rough) you could do cories or kuhlis.

Sand or fine gravel is good for kuhlis

Back
Top Bottom