Need help badly!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bibeau689

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well i'm new to this forum so ill introduce myself my name is Dan, now here is my dilemma i have gone through 3 gold fish and 5 mollies in the past week and i'm really upset about this!! I have purchased a 10 gallon tank with rocks, two plants and a barrel with a bubbler in it, a really expensive filter and heater at petsmart i also have added conditioners to the water as i have tap water and after the gold fish died i went and had my water tested and they said it was perfect so i got 3 mollies and they have since passed so i went to Walmart and bought 3 more and 2 of them have died and I only have one left I keep there water temp at 75 and only feed them once in the morning and sometimes at night but basically I cannot keep them alive for longer than 24 hours also I bought an ammonia test strip kit and it says that there is little to none in the tank. I have done two, one gallon water changes to see if that helps but it does nothing. I am aware of cycling the tank but its been a week shouldn't they be able to survive?

Yay! I get to share my knowledge!

Cycling takes far more than one week unless seeded heavily by biomaterial from other tanks. The rough estimate with fish is 4-6 weeks, and that's if everything is kept on top of.

If you currently have no fish, I'd recommend fishless cycling, or taking back ones you just got if you did. Otherwise you'll be keeping a tight eye on PWCs for the next month or so to keep on top of the ammonia levels as they try to peak.

so even though the test strips say there is no ammonia in the tank there is? thats kinda what i was getting the feeling of. But basically your saying that I should just leave the tank alone for a month and then buy the fish and put them in or what exactly do i need to do i just want some healthy fish to survive that i can take care of.

From what I've heard the test strips aren't really accurate - if you want the gold standard of water testing, get the API master freshwater kit. It's a bit more expensive, but you get to play mad scientist, and it's awesome.

And no, don't leave it alone - read through this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

It'll really help! Plus the writer is super nice and awesome about answering any questions you might have. Basically, you get some pure ammonia from a store (or a raw shrimp to rot to release ammonia) and you test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at times (ammonia first, keep an eye for nitrites, and once your nitrites peak start testing for nitrates). The cycle is complete when you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitRITES, and only nitrates showing. The night before you want to put in fish, do a 90% water change to reduce the level of nitRATES in order to help your fishies.

Does that sound good? I'm a beginner myself, but that's the knowledge I've gathered from reading tons.

+1 to nohika's comment (read the link)
An API master kit costs around $30 but is able to perform 130 of each test, compared with the 20 or so strips you get in a package it is actually cheaper, and far more accurate. Also, don't buy fish from Walmart if you have any other options. They are notorious for selling sick fish.

Fantastic advice from nohika. If you still have a fish in your tank, try to either find a temporary home for him, or return him to the store and do a fishless cycle. Nohika's right, the the test strips are unbelievably inaccurate, and ammonia poisoning is absolutely what is killing off the fish in your tank.

For the time being, you're going to need to do daily 50% water changes (pwc's) to keep the ammonia level as low as possible until you can re-home your fish. I would start by either doing a 75% pwc, or two back to back 50% pwc's as soon as possible. Make sure you're using a dechlorinator every time you add new water.

You are using a dechlorinator, right?

It's good of you to have come here for advice, and we'll see you through it with any questions you come across.

I have to admit I'm unbelievably happy right now, as sad as that sounds. I've only been here two days and have assimilated a huge amount of info. :) I'll disclose that I've JUST started cycling my 10 gallon and am still hunting down some ammonia to do it with, but I've read tons and heard from several well-established fish-people, including eco (who wrote the guide I linked to).

Best of luck in getting everything sorted out. :) I'll help as much as I can!

If you have no fish now, I'd suggest you not get any until your tank cycles. I'd also suggest you get a liquid test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) as strips aren't very accurate.

The other issue you're having is that 3 goldies in a 10g is way overstocked, throw in the mollies and your tank can't handle that kind of bio-load or have enough o2 to support everyone IMO/E.

Here's a cycling link I'd suggest you read.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

well im really happy for all the advice you guys are a life saver i will go to ace hardware as soon as possible and get some pure ammonia and start the fishless cycle as soon as i can and i will return the last little guy before he gets sick and i will embark on my journey of the fishless tank cycleing just gotta find a place to find a seed from somewhere, and also yes i have been dechlorinating the tank :) thanks for everything everyone its nice to finnaly have someone who knows what they are talking about help me

Mr. Limpet never gives my guide any love, lol. The tips and tricks article is also a fantastic read, gives a different perspective and is how I cycled my first tank. I'd say to check them both and in the mean time read this article on cycling with fish until you find them a new home-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

awww, don't say that, I just like to pass the quickie one out because patience is tough with someone new to this hobby.

Ok I am NO fish expert here. And I plan on getting a tank for myself soon. But I have seen people just go out and buy a fish not knowing anyhting about them and just have them put into the tank with a filter and heater and thats it. No other stuff added, no fishless cycle, and the fish they got are still alive to this day. Whats up with that?

Some fish are hardier than others. Some it's just pure, dumb luck. It's always going to be best and easiest on your fish if you do a fishless cycle. If you already have fish, it's best to monitor the cycle. Some people do make it out unscathed, but it's rare, and it's so hard on your fish.

You can cycle with your fish in the tank, you know. It's just harder.

-Samurai- said:
Ok I am NO fish expert here. And I plan on getting a tank for myself soon. But I have seen people just go out and buy a fish not knowing anyhting about them and just have them put into the tank with a filter and heater and thats it. No other stuff added, no fishless cycle, and the fish they got are still alive to this day. Whats up with that?

Welcome to AA. The survivability of a fish in cycle comes down to numerous factors. First, how "hardy" the fish is...basically meaning how much ammonia it can take burning it's gills without dying. Second, the number and type of fish used during the cycle. The larger and more numerous the fish, the faster and higher the ammonia spikes. Third, the willingness and commitment an owner has to keeping his fish alive by doing daily water changes (pwc's).

Problem is, cycling a new tank involves high levels of ammonia and nitrItes in all cases. Both of these chems are highly toxic to fish, and even though certain "hardy" fish may survive the process...the have burned and permanently scarred gills that dramatically shortens their life span and quality of life.

These are the facts...the difference between AA members and others is that we all care about the best wellbeing of your fish, while many lfs employees either don't care, or are uneducated about the process.

Oh wow. I'll definitely be doing the fish-less cycle then. I didn't realize it would hurt the fish so much trying to get by without the fish-less cycle. And I definitely want them to live longer.

-Samurai- said:
Oh wow. I'll definitely be doing the fish-less cycle then. I didn't realize it would hurt the fish so much trying to get by without the fish-less cycle. And I definitely want them to live longer.

Good for you! It's actually much less work for you to do it this way, as well as not having to watch your fish suffer. You'll have a good feeling when you add fish for the first time to a tank that you know is a healthy environment you prepared just for them. It's already been linked here, but check out the link in my signature to get some more info. Good luck!

Good for you! It's actually much less work for you to do it this way, as well as not having to watch your fish suffer. You'll have a good feeling when you add fish for the first time to a tank that you know is a healthy environment you prepared just for them. It's already been linked here, but check out the link in my signature to get some more info. Good luck!

Exactly lol. But I guess I'll have to wait for the tank to be healthy for them to live in :\ And thanks!

eco23 said:

Plus, the members here, myself included, will be happy to help you along the way if you have questions or need guidance. Nohika's brand new and is already helping people make good decisions, and I'm sure you'll be here helping others in the future too.

They really are! They're super supportive and willing to help with stock ideas, insecurities about cycling, etc. This place is fantastic.

The suckiest thing about cycling is sitting and waiting.

Back
Top Bottom