Need Help Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leigh1010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, new to the forum and fish!! looking for some advice on a 30l tank just purchased.. has been set up for few days before tropical fish where put in.. Bought 4 and so far 2 have died, went today and purchased a Api water testing kit.. and all have came back as

ph 7.6
ammonia 0.50ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm

could this level of ammonia killed other 2 and what do i do next?

An 8 gallon tank is very small so it's important to know what fish you bought.

Here is an article about fish in cycling that will help you but just so you know you need to test ammonia and nitrite daily and do a WC anytime either rise above .25ppm. In a couple weeks or so you can also start testing for nitrates along with ammonia and nitrites. You want to keep nitrates no higher than 20ppm.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

we where advised to start with mollys? Other too fish still living im wondering was it just a fish thing, other than to do with water/living?

Fish In Tank Cycling

we where advised to start with mollys? Other too fish still living im wondering was it just a fish thing, other than to do with water/living?

Hello leigh...

The best fish for cycling a tank are: Feeder female Guppies. Feeders are the fish that pet shops sell as food for large, predator fish. White Clouds, Platys, Danios and Rasboras are all good, hardy fish and will easily survive the cycling process. Mollies are very particular about their water, so you definitely don't want these.

The idea of using the above fish, is they can live in poorer water conditions than most aquarium fish, which is what you start off with when cycling a tank.

Without getting too windy here, you really need a larger tank to have success with fish keeping. I'd start with at least a 20 gallon tank, but even larger would be better.

B

Shame on the fish store! A molly isn't a good choice for a roughly 8 gallon tank. What other fish do you still have? Have you done any water changes since you added them? Yes, high ammonia can easily kill fish.

Now that you have the information on fish in cycling you can do things right or even return the fish and do a fishless cycle. That is your choice. If you do a fishless cycle don't ever use feeder fish as those fish are often weak and if you look in those crammed tanks they keep them in you always see sick and or dying/dead fish. You don't want that in a tank your beginning to cycle.

As for stocking that tank has a limited amount of fish suitable to use in. You could do a Betta with some pygmy or dwarf cory's. Or after the tank is cycled you could do some Nano Fish and small shrimp.

Fish in Tank Cycling

Hello Rcats...

Just so we're clear on using feeders to cycle a tank, I specified feeder female Guppies. I used them a number of years ago to cycle my first 30 G tank and they all survived the process. They're a perfect fish, because they come pregnant and shortly after the cycle, I had fry in the tank. These were the start of several larger tanks with several hundred fish. Guppies get a little "bad press" because of some breeders that didn't keep their facilities clean and disease killed many, the species is still hardy.

If you like Guppies and want to efficiently cycle you tank, "feeder female Guppies" are an excellent choice. You do have to commit to keeping the water pure, but if you do, the fish will be strong and colorful.

B

Feeder fish are feeder fish, they are kept crammed into a tank where you always see sick and or dying fish in the same tank. Feeder female guppies are in those tanks also and can introduce any disease in that tank. This isn't a few breeders not keeping facilities up to standards as feeder fish are not raised for quality but for quantity. You may want to use them but I wouldn't risk introducing disease into a new tank. That is my opinion and I didn't need clarification of what you said as I read the post.

If a person wants to buy quality female guppies to cycle with that is fine but the OP already has fish.

thanks everyone for ur advise i could b wrong about the type of fish, as i said im new to all this.. i have done 25% water change & 2 fish stil remaining.

Will b at fish shop sometime over the next few days will mention to them.

Back
Top Bottom