Need help cycling ten gallon for dp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, go ahead and add the ammonia. While moving the decor moved some bacteria, its not a lot. By adding the ammonia, you will significantly increase the bacteria population.

Agree with the above. Most of the bacteria live on the filter media; some but not much on the decorations, substrate, etc. Anything you can move over from the other tank will help and may shorten the cycling time but won't instantly cycle the tank. You'll still need to add ammonia and go through the fishless cycle until you're sure the tank is cycled. Also be careful as to how much you pull from the other tank if there's fish in it; I'd test the other tank for at least a few days when you get the test kit to make sure there aren't any spikes. Good luck!

Okay I understand. Thursday I will get the ammonia. And my test should be here before then. So Thursday I may ask some questions lol!

you know what i hate? conflicting advice.
i gave advice to another thread a while ago that i went back on to check the info. id said u need a source of bacteria and ammonia that u can add in via a cycling product. but someone very knowledgable said u dont need to add in, just test it as there ARE all the necessary things in the water, it just takes longer to cycle.
then i share this info and i get corrected on my correction!! imo, get a test kit and let it run. then people please pic a side!! lolz! x

i gave advice to another thread a while ago that i went back on to check the info. id said u need a source of bacteria and ammonia that u can add in via a cycling product. but someone very knowledgable said u dont need to add in, just test it as there ARE all the necessary things in the water, it just takes longer to cycle.
then i share this info and i get corrected on my correction!! imo, get a test kit and let it run. then people please pic a side!! lolz! x

You're not understanding the process. In order to colonize the beneficial bacteria which cycles a tank...you need an ammonia source.

If you let it run empty without an ammonia source (fish, pure ammonia, raw shrimp, etc...) there is no food for the bacteria, the beneficial bacteria will not colonize, and the tank will NOT cycle. It will simply circulate the water for the time you have it running.

It's okay if you don't understand the process, but you should NOT give advice to others on a topic if you don't know the answer. Putting in a Guppy "to see if it dies or not" is obviously not sound advice and shows you don't have full comprehension on cycling.

Here's some articles you should read over to educate yourself about the nitrogen cycle and different ways of cycling an aquarium. I'm not picking on you...but as I said, if you don't know the answer or understand the process...please don't give advice to others.
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and cycling. Methods for ammonia, nitrite removal.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Okay I understand. Thursday I will get the ammonia. And my test should be here before then. So Thursday I may ask some questions lol!

The ammonia you get should not have any foam after you shake it. The ammonia that is recommended by others here and I've used is the Ace Janitorial Strength Ammonia from Ace Hardware Stores. It cost less than $3 for a bottle.

Hey everyone morning, so I got a quick question. Could it be my heater killing my fish it has like bubbles on the inside of it. I bet this is what are killing my fish, what do y'all think?

eco23 thank you! i dont think il advise on cycling anymore, its clearly more complicated that once assumed.
about the heater, maybe its causing some sort of metal poisoning if it has a leak?

Hey everyone morning, so I got a quick question. Could it be my heater killing my fish it has like bubbles on the inside of it. I bet this is what are killing my fish, what do y'all think?

If it has bubbles inside of it, it could be indicative of a leak. What is the current temp on your tank, usually once they start leaking they sky rocket the temp. If you think its cracked or broken, I would replace it ASAP.

LOL, not to be mean, but you'll find on the forums that advice is generally conflicting 90% of the time or more. Everyone has different ways of doing things, and in almost all cases, they all work. Take cycling for example; ECO has an excellent resource for fishless cycling and gives tons of advice on the topic, somebody else (sorry can't remember the name), just posted a very well written article on fish in cycling. Both methods work, and both authors in this case recognize the value of the other method. There are members however who will argue that one should always do a fishless cycle, and others who say they almost never do a fishless cycle. The fact is, if you know what you are doing, both methods are viable. Doesn't mean you won't get/see conflicting advice. On the forums, one has to learn to take everything you are told with a grain of salt and do your own research on the topic, there is very seldom one single right or wrong answer.

eco23 thank you! i dont think il advise on cycling anymore, its clearly more complicated that once assumed.
about the heater, maybe its causing some sort of metal poisoning if it has a leak?

So if kit is causes a metal poison in the water am I going to have to change the water? Okay since there is to big of a chance it's broke I am going to take it out and buy new one Thursday! Thanks y'all. I get my test kits today so I will probably be asking some questions on levels and stuff!

Back
Top Bottom