Need help.. fish in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
:( My mother got a tank, set it up. Blah blah... Then decided to leave me to my own devices... Bad Idea x.x.;; So far i think my fish could possibly be in trouble.. I have no clue how to change the water.. And i dont think my mum will buy stuff to help them... Someone help me x.x i dont want my fishies to go bye bye X.X;;;

Well, a water changes is pretty simple to do. You just have to syphon some water out and replace it with new dechlorinated water. A syphon will help with cleaning your gravel but, if you don't have one, you could just scoop the water out til you get one. The tank looks like it could be a little overstocked and if this is a new tank, that's a huge bioload to start up a new ten gallon. Just do lots of water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites under control. And try to convince your mum to get you a test kit. They aren't that expensive and will help you monitor the water and help you keep your fish from dying while your tank cycles.

X.x tried to get her to buy a test kit for amonia and all that good stuff... But ofcourse her arguement was " If fish survive in the wild then they can survive their own ..." Right... I got a hold of stuff to make tap water safe so im good on that stuff..x.x

If your worried about the fish then you'll need to do daily water changes to keep things from getting too toxic. 20 to 30 percent I would recommend, then do a larger say 50 percent once a week. Its going to take it longer to cycle this way, but its easier on the fish. That load should be fine in an established tank with the type of filters we have today, but it is quite a large load to start a cycle with! This is only my opinion, but I agree with Fluff. Good luck!

Oh... Welcome to AA!!!! :smilecolros:

Thanks. Alright.. Ill try that. Another thing.. I tried to take one of my fishes back.. Its a sunset... something.. Anyways i tried to take it back cause it has a pectoral fin missing, They wouldnt take it back the first time, and then the second time they said they would.. But they were gonna put it right back into the tank which worried me because if the other fish were bullying it then.. yeah well.. im not sure if its better to keep it in my tank or return it. They wouldnt give me another fish or give me my money back but i dont mind. I just want the little guy to be alright any idea on what to do X.X;;

I don't know. Is he being picked on in your tank? It's really up to you what you do. If there isn't to much damage, the fin could come back over time.

Hes just swimming directly next to the glass on the side that the one fin is missing, breaks my heart. the other fish leave him alone except for the other sunset fish i got. It dosnt look like its biting it. The other one usually just nudges it abit when foods being served c.c

Just keep your water stable with partial water changes and give him some time. Make sure he's getting food at feeding time. That would be my concern. He may not make it due to having to compete for food. Good luck with him.

Thanks for your help. ^^;; Ill make sure he gets food. Just a curiosity, but Out of the listing of fish i have(( was definitly kidding bout the betta fish.. i have no betta fish. )) Anyone know if they would eat my african dwarf frog?

I'm not real familiar with dwarf frogs but, depending on what type of catfish you have, there may be a problem.

X.x!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its either a Corydoras aeneus (( Bronze catfish )) or a brochis splendens (( short bodied catfish )) I think its a short bodied catfish. Pretty sure its the short bodied but not 100%

Cories get along with pretty much everything so, I don't think he'd bother your frog.

Okie thanks ^^.. Gettin sleepy and the superbowls still going... eagles are losing...... x.x out of ten bucks and gotta wash a car in 30 degree whether... YAY!

[center:6b856a9359] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Rach101!! :n00b: [/center:6b856a9359]
Two swordtails, One African Dwarf frog, Two Black mollys, two tetras, two sunset blushes, One cat fish
That's a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. Swords and mollies can easily get 3+ inches.

So far, good advice has been given about water changes. I have some Qs for you and your mother. Why was this tank purchased? It is obvious you care for the fish, but research was not done to properly start this tank. As for fish being fine in the wild??? The "wild" is vastly different from a closed system. In the "wild" the water is refreshed by currents. Do you have other pets? Was this tank bought for the family to enjoy or teach you responsibility? This is not against you, Rach101, but your mother has been extremely irresponsible by buying the tank and not the necessary items needed to care for the tank.
You and your mother should read "NON-LIVING SOURCES OF STRESS" from this article to fully understand that a closed system needs attention and these fish will never survive without lots of TLC.

X.x :cry: :cry: Dare you to ask her that! I know its a bit big and I intend on buying a bigger tank once I raise enough money. And We did do a bit of research or I did anyhow. And dont ask me about the " Wild " logic. I didnt agree with it either -.-;;; I have a dog... The tank was bought for me. I did go out and buy a amonia kit today with whats left of my christmas money and its low. I changed the water like I was told by the very nice person above ^.^ and for my defense.... X.x I plan on getting all the neccessary equipment soon as I can raise money as soon as i can get it.. (( even been saving lunch money 8O ))

And my mollies are two inches, but they have plenty of room for now. Same with my male swordtail. my female is only an inch long.

Sorry, Rach101, my frustrations were aimed at your mother. I can see that you are concerned for the well being of your fish.
(( even been saving lunch money ))
Eating is important!!

If you can buy equipment on line with the help of your mother, you will save some money.

Back
Top Bottom