Need help from the aquarium veterans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I am new to the hobby and just started at 36 gallon bow front tank kit. Got it all ready. Bought a few too many fish though. :( :fish2:Beginner's mistake I guess! I have 5 gouramis and 5 glo-light tetas and 1 peppered cory cat. So far everyone in the tank looks healthy. Checked water. Ammonia appears to be either 0 or maybe .25 (its hard to tell the difference on the color card). Nitrites appear to be 0 and nitrates same (again the colors on the card can be hard to differentiate). I did a 20% water change yesterday. Any advice on frequency of water changes considering my fish load until my tank cycles? Everyday? Every other? I want to make sure I am keeping ammonia levels in check. Also would appreciate any advice on feedings. Should I skip a day to make sure ammonia doesn't spike. Need help from the veterans!

Cycling a Tank With Fish

Hello pb...

You'll need to test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace about 30 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Normally, the cycle is done with hardier fish, but since you have these, a bit larger water change is needed to help the fish. You don't want to change a lot of water, because you're growing the bacteria needed to use the ammonia and nitrite once the tank has cycled. A third of the tank's volume is about right.

Get some floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort. These are natural water filters and will help keep the water a bit healthier for the fish. Just drop some individual stems of these plants into the tank.

Test daily and remove the water when needed and keep the food to a minimum. Just a little every couple of days. The cycle usually runs its course in a month or so.

B

Thank B,

Well the pet store doesn't offer much advice on which fish to begin with other than compatibility. Wow! Anyhow, I will change the water again today (30%) as you said. However, all my plants are artificial. I don't know first thing about live plants. Would take any advice you have on that, but I will begin to search the web on adding live plants (don't know first thing about it). I will skip feeding for today maybe?

Sorry B, I just realized you said FLOATING plants! That shouldn't be too hard. If Petsmart has them, I can add those today. Not sure of any other aquarium dealers in my area, but I will look into it.

Plants in a Cycling Tank

Thank B,

Well the pet store doesn't offer much advice on which fish to begin with other than compatibility. Wow! Anyhow, I will change the water again today (30%) as you said. However, all my plants are artificial. I don't know first thing about live plants. Would take any advice you have on that, but I will begin to search the web on adding live plants (don't know first thing about it). I will skip feeding for today maybe?

Hello again pb...

Anacharis and Hornwort should be available at any of the chain pet stores like PetCo and PetsMart. If those aren't in your area, then check the local Mom & Pop places. There may be some close. It would be worth the drive to get these plants. They're very beneficial during the cycle.

If you're looking for a good plant source on the internet, check out alphaprobreeders. Ron McGee is very knowledgeable and helpful.

B

Thanks again B,

I called Petsmart and they didn't happen to have it, but I was able to order Hornwort online from liveaquaria.com I will also look into the resources you provided as well. Thank you so much for the tips!

I wouldn't expect miracles from the plants. While they can help, they wo.t solve your problems. I agree with daily testing but imho the water change amount should be 50%. Remember that you're pulling out a % of the toxins out of the water with each water change.

What is your feeling about using "Ammo-lock". My tap water after treated with conditioners shows a ppm reading of .25-.50. The product claims not to remove ammonia but make it non-toxic to fish, while still making it available to the biological filter. Would love some feedback on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is your feeling about using "Ammo-lock". My tap water after treated with conditioners shows a ppm reading of .25-.50. The product claims not to remove ammonia but make it non-toxic to fish, while still making it available to the biological filter. Would love some feedback on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would just use prime to dechlorinate the water. It will do the same thing as ammo lock without the need to buy an extra product.

Well I bought Ammo lock without knowing, so can I use it for now with the Stress coat and then use prime later? Hate to lose the product I have on hand unless they absolutely aren't good ones. I will be certain to buy Prime after this.

Back
Top Bottom