Need Help Interpreting Numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porschegirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this and I thought I had my tank cycled. I'm not sure what to make of these numbers for the last two days:

Tuesday: pH 6.8 ammonia 0 nitrIte 0.5 nitrAte 5

Wednesday: pH7.6 ammonia 0.5 nitrIte 0.25 nitrAte 5

Is the next step a water exchange?
:thanks:

I would do a water change to be fully cycled ammonia will always be zero. Did you add fish?

Yes, I have added fish! They seem pretty active & healthy.
Should I do a 10% water change? Or do I need to do more?
I have some TSS...should I add any?

10% sounds good, make sure you test the water again tomorrow. Always add the conditioner/de-chlorinator to the new water before putting it in the tank. TSS is Tetra Safe Start? Next time you need some try Seachem Prime it is the best! What size is your tank and what kind of fish?

I did a 10% water change with Seachem Prime; will test again tomorrow. I have a 30 gallon with 3 male platys, 5 bloodfin tetras and 3 panda coreys. Thanks so much for your advice.

I did a 10% water change with Seachem Prime; will test again tomorrow. I have a 30 gallon with 3 male platys, 5 bloodfin tetras and 3 panda coreys. Thanks so much for your advice.
You are most welcome. Sounds like a nice tank! Don't hesitate to keep asking questions.

If you got .05 ppm ammonia and you do a 10% water change you only brought it down to .045 ppm. You should do a 50% water change. This would bring it down to .25 ppm. Same goes for nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom