Need help on my new 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

switchfoot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the whole fish thing and recently i've been reading other peoples posts and they are talking about a thing called cycling.. :oops: ..laugh if you want but i really dont know what they're talking about but it sounds kind of important. So if some of you can explain what i need to do in order to 'cycle' it please tell me. I also want to know what i should buy from the LFS in order to test for nitrates/ites and ammonia. And if anyone has any ideas on what fish are not expensive that go well with tiger barbs i'd appreciate it..

Welcome to AA Switchfoot!

You are not the first person to ask what cycling is, and certainly won't be the last. It is the single most important thing in setting up a new tank. Basically fish produce ammonia. The ammonia is converted to Nitrites. Nitrites are then converted to Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites are poisionous to fish, even at small doses (+1ppm). Nitrates are not as poisionous and fish can tolerate higher levels of it (<40 ppm). When a tank is cycled, enough bacteria has established in the tank to convert the ammonia produced by fish into less harmful Nitrates.

Do you currently have fish in the tank?
How long has the tank been setup?

A good test kit is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit .

This article will help better explain the Nitrogen cycle

Here's another article on things to consider when setting up a new tank.

And lastly, an article about Fishless cycling.

HTH

i currently have 5 tiger barbs(4 of them are those albino ones) and 1 little sucker fish i set the tank up about 3 weeks ago. thanks for the articles!

i honesly dont know what kind it is..i do know its not the dark one with all the crazy looking fins its just a skinny little guy...maybe 2 inches right now, but i'm sure he can get bigger....and its 10 gallon rok. and....if my water gets cloudy, what do i do?

Cloudy water is common in a new tank. It's most likely a bacteria bloom. It will go away eventually. Whatever you do, do not purchase water clarifiers. They only make it worse. Just wait it out.

It sounds like you have an Otto or Algae Eater. Does he suck on the side of the tank and look kind of like a worm?

Definately get a test kit ASAP (not the test strips, but a liquid reagent test kit) and test your levels.

yes...he does suck on the side, and he likes to hide all day, well....most of the day and i'll prolly get a test kit tomarrow..what if the results show high ammonia and nitrite levels?..how do i get the nitrate levels up and the others down w/o hurting my fish??

If your test kit shows high Ammonia and Nitrite levels do immediate water changes. Since the tank is cycling with fish be prepared for lots of water changes until Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are above 10. It will take anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks to cycle with fish.

Do you or anyone else know how much water to cycle at a time?..and do you just leave the fish in the tank while doing a water change? does it bother them?

You are going to be cycling the tank, not the water. Basically cycling is producing enough bacteria in the filter to convert the ammonia and nitrites. The water doesn't really hold bacteria. It forms in the gravel, on plants, glass, in the filter, on decor, etc. I hope I'm not confusing you.

Yes, leave the fish in the tank. Cycling with fish will cause enough stress on the fish. If you chase them around with a net it will only cause more stress. I used to take them out at every water change. After coming to AA I realized that it was just causing more harm to the fish by doing it that way.

switchfoot said:
Do you or anyone else know how much water to cycle at a time?

Were you trying to ask how much water to change (not cycle) at a time? If so, I would recommend between 30 and 50%. If your ammonia and nitrite levels are high, change more water. (A 50% water change will reduce their concentration by half.)

so basically, what i need to do is ket that test kit ASAP, then test. and if the worst should happen i need to do serious water changes (50%). And do those pretty much like say....once a week? and thats just taking the water out, and replacing it w/ tap water that has been treated w/ the aqua safe stuff? do you recommend anything? Any way that you've found easy?....any advice or tips you've learned about water changes ...they'd be greatly appreciated.

If it's not cycled, 50%-75% every other day til it's cycled. And keep a close eye on the parameters. Keep Ammonia and Nitrite below 1ppm. And replace with dechlorinated water, Prime is the preferred treatment.

Test for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. If Ammonia and Nitrite levels are above 1, do a water change. Depending on what the number reads will depend on how large to do the change. Ie: If Ammonia is 2, do a 75% water change to get the reading UNDER 1 ppm. Tomorrow do another test and if warranted, do another water change. One the tank has cycled water changes should be done weekly to keep NItrates under control. I prefer Prime as a dechlorinator, but it's entirely up to you what you use. Just don't use AmQuel Plus. It will bind the ammonia that is needed to cycle the tank.

Back
Top Bottom