Need help Rebuilding aweful experience help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaydizzle707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I had a very successful 20gal tank and decided to upgrade to a 29g planted freshwater tank with soil at the bottom with sand covering it. My water turned brown I got brown algae the entire tank looks aweful, i have a snail infestation. I need to tear this down and start over. I still have my 20g with the old sand in it but I think I should take out that old sand and start it new too. But how do I go about this? Should I fishless cycle the new tank because I should probably get a new filter? because the filter I have now has snails and brown algae in it.

And I wanna keep myu plants but how do I kill the snails on them so when i move them back to my 20g that I dont bring snails into the environment

The water is brown from the soil. Make sure it's capped properly and do some water changes to clear it up. Make sure not to disturb the sand when filling back up.
The brown algae sounds like diatoms from the sand. Ugly, yes. Harmful, definitely not. It will clear on its own in a few weeks-months.
The snail population could have exploded from the excess decomposing organic matter in the tank and diatoms. More food = more snails. They won't do any harm. Squish or remove the ones you see.
Did you mineralize the soil before adding it to the tank? If not, its not a huge deal. It just means its going to do this while in the tank. Large amounts of nutrients are going to be in the tank. A good way to help remove these is to add a fast growing floating plant. I used hornwort with great success. It grows like mad and I had to remove half of it every few weeks. After 6 month or so I removed it all.
I think your tank sounds savable. :) It will take a little patients on your behalf but trust me it will be worth it in the end.

Back
Top Bottom