Need help stocking my 29 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am upgrading from a 20 gallon to a 29 gallon tank. It will have artificial plants and natural brown stone substrate. I currently have 1 rainbow shark and 1 common pleco. These are the fish I would like to have in my 29 gallon to go with the shark and pleco.

Clown loach
Kuhli loach
Harlequin Rosbora
Panda Platy
Dwarf Rainbow Fish

Ideally I would like to have all these different types of fish but I dont want to overstock. Can you give me some Ideas as far as numbers and stocking go.

:thanks:

Clown loaches would be too large for the tank as you would need 3-5 of them. I "think" a 55 gallon is the recommended tank size.

Kuhlis need groups also. I have a dozen in my 46. I had about 7 of them in my 30 before they upgraded to the larger tank.

Rasboras need groups of 5 or more. More is always better with schooling species.

Platies and the rainbowfish I'm not really familiar with, so I'll wait for someone else to pop in with their opinion on them. :)

I was thinking of keeping just a pair of clown loaches, they are kind of top on my list cause thier so stinking cute. Are you sure a 29 gallon is to small? Is it true they grow to thier enviornment?

They are one of my faves, but I can't have them because they will not fit with my current 75 gallon stock. I just have to wait. I have no choice but to be cool with that.

It's all about the fish, it's not about us. And it's not fair to keep a fish that you know is being cramped in your tank. That's animal abuse. Fish do not grow to the size of their tank, insofar as your theory suggests. Rather, they grow to a stunted size. They should grow larger but can't because they don't have the room. These leads to internal organ damage, overall weakness and early death.

It's really best to choose a species for your tank based on their adult size.

Um....a common pleco is going to grow very big rather quickly. How big is it now? It probably won't be happy in a 29 gal for long assuming it's still small. You'll need to upgrade again quickly (within 6 months on average depending upon growth rate), minimum 55 gals and that's depending upon size.

You're on the smaller tank size for shark too; minimum 30 gals but at least 50 is best. Also the shark is semi-aggressive and may go after the smaller fish, particularly in a smaller tank where there isn't enough room.

I agree with Lynda as well that the Clown loaches are going to be too big (they can grow up to 12") and they need a group.

Khuli loaches need a group also. Same with the Dwarf Rainbows.

With the stocking list you have now your tank would be WAY overstocked (200% stocked IMO). You should either return the 29 gal and get a much bigger tank (55 gal minimum, larger if you can do it), or rehome the Pleco and shark. The 20 gal tank you have now with the shark and pleco is very much overstocked and not a sufficient home for either of those fish.

Research prior to buying fish is very important. :)

Rainbow Shark | Fish Tank | Tank of Fish
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/how-fast-does-a-common-pleco-grow-52561.html
Common pleco (Hypostomus punctatus / Liposarcus multiradiatus, pardalis) with pictures / photos
Rainbow shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Rainbow Shark Care And Tank Mates

I currently have 1 rainbow shark and 1 common pleco.

Oh goodness, I didn't even see this one. You must rehome both immediately. Again, the stunted growth situation comes into play.

I had a shark in a 46 that I had to rehome to someone with 125 gallons. As they mature, their aggression level gets huge.

The common pleco, aside from getting really large, is also basically a poop machine. They have a very large bioload.

Good catch librarygirl! ;)

Ok ladies thank for the advice! My pleco is currently only about 2 1/2 inches right now and the rainbow shark is about 4 inches. He is currently in the 20 gallon with the pleco and 3 zebra danios and doesn't bother them at all. He was also formerly included with 3 guppy and 2 guorami and gave them no trouble either. The shark cam with the 20 gallon when I purchased it used and had been living in thier with a blue gourami and a dalmation molly for about 3 years. Librarygirl I assure you I am trying to do research before I purchase any other fish. Precisly why I'm here.

If I were to find the Pleco a new home what would you suggest I stock in the 29 gallon with the rainbow shark out of the fish I listed in my initial post?

You must rehome the shark. I'm sorry. The reason I rehomed mine is partly because he ate all my danios once his aggression level started rising.

Or If I started fresh with the 29 gallon (no fish at all) How would you suggest I stock it?

My very first tank was a 30 gallon...... I had serpae tetras, red eye tetras, yoyo loaches. Beautiful combo of colors and it made for a pretty peaceful community.

Now, my community is the listing for the 46 gallon tank in my siggy line. I love community tanks.

Back
Top Bottom