Need Help Understanding The Difference Between These 2 pH Kits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IERTOI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two kits and I understand how to use one for the most part. It is actually pretty cool. You just measure the water in the test tube and add the test chemical and so forth. Here is the first test kit that I feel I understand for the most part:

API pH Test & Adjuster Kit (includes pH up & pH down)
phkit.JPG

But when it comes to this other kit I got when I first started a while ago and have never used, I am unsure. It is basically because I guess I am having trouble understanding the wording on the box lol! I have also done some research and I am still having trouble with the concept. Does it automatically take the pH all the way to 7.0? Here is this kit:

Tetra Correct pH 7.0
ph7.0.JPG

I'm not familiar with how this kit works, but it does appear to me that adding the tablet is intended to help get your water balanced. I assume that the tablet will raise the Ph if it's low (acid), or drop the Ph if it's high (basic).

I'm not familiar with how this kit works, but it does appear to me that adding the tablet is intended to help get your water balanced. I assume that the tablet will raise the Ph if it's low (acid), or drop the Ph if it's high (basic).

Ahhh see, that what I was thinking. Adding 1 tablet per 10 gallons will correct pH. But thats about all its says lol ( I just want to be extra sure, ya know? ). Oh well, thanks bro.

Not a problem at all! Glad to help! Just bear in mind that some fish prefer slightly alkaline or slightly acidic water. Be sure to read up on your fish before trying to neutralize your Ph.

Hi IERTO!

Can you share what is you objective for he use of these products?

I know the first one, is just bottles of acid (ph down) or alkali (ph up). These products can dangerously change your pH in a short period o time, which is not good for the fish.

The second one looks like a buffer salt

Hi IERTO!

Can you share what is you objective for he use of these products?

I know the first one, is just bottles of acid (ph down) or alkali (ph up). These products can dangerously change your pH in a short period o time, which is not good for the fish.

The second one looks like a buffer salt

Sure, as of right now, I have tested the water for its pH level and it is really dark blue which is a lot darker than the 7.8 of the kit test chart. My objective would be to get it to at least a somewhat similar shade of the 7.8. I guess you can say I wanted to try this out because it was recommended to a lot of beginners to try and get there aquarium to optimal conditions. The pH was the first concept that I was trying to learn and thought I could handle lol, thats all :(

A stable pH is better on the tank inhabitants than mucking around and trying to get it "perfect". Most fish can adapt to any pH. Remember, most LFS have the same if not very similar water supply as you do. So their pH is going to be pretty darn close to yours. If their fish are doing well, you can pretty much count on yours doing well. (disease and stress are something else)

When you start adjusting pH, you can have quick swings and sometimes fatal crashes. We've lost many a fish to these swings and the resulting crash from trying to make the pH perfect for certain fish.

Back
Top Bottom