Need help with choosing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon bio cube freshwater aquarium with live plants. Its dimentions are 20"L x 20.75"W x 19.25"H with two 36 watt fluorescent 16" lights. I have had it for a while now but each time I get new fish most of them die leaving only a few left. Right now i have 2 Rummy Nose Tetras, 1 Bleeding Heart Tetra, 3 Flying Fox Siamesises, 1 Bristlenose pleco, and 3 algae eating shrimp. I want to get some new smaller community fish that would go well with the fish I already have, but I don't know which fish would be compatible with the fish I already have. If you have any suggestions for what fish I could get, I would be glad to hear them.:)

I have a 29 gallon bio cube freshwater aquarium with live plants. Its dimentions are 20"L x 20.75"W x 19.25"H with two 36 watt fluorescent 16" lights. I have had it for a while now but each time I get new fish most of them die leaving only a few left. Right now i have 2 Rummy Nose Tetras, 1 Bleeding Heart Tetra, 3 Flying Fox Siamesises, 1 Bristlenose pleco, and 3 algae eating shrimp. I want to get some new smaller community fish that would go well with the fish I already have, but I don't know which fish would be compatible with the fish I already have. If you have any suggestions for what fish I could get, I would be glad to hear them.:)

I would up the tetras school to 6 or 7 each. And maybe get a gourami of some sort or a few Cory's.

would there be enough room for 6 or 7 of each and maybe a gourami with the fish i already have in my aquarium

would there be enough room for 6 or 7 of each and maybe a gourami with the fish i already have in my aquarium

I would check aqadvisor.com. It's a pretty good website!! It should help.

You could do 5 of each tetra and then add a dwarf gourami. But make sure you check aqadvisor.

What fish would be good if I wanted a more broad range of bright, unique fish?

I agree you need to up the count of the current schooling fish in your tank. I also recommend Rams either a Ram Cichlid or Bolivian Ram Cichlid instead of dwarf gourami's. Dwarf Gourami are know as sickly fish and often die with little warning. If you are new to the hobby I would recommend Bolivian Ram's the Ram Cichlid are more brightly colored but are also more difficult to keep.

So would I get like 5 more of the rummy noses and 5 more of the bleeding hearts and maybe 2 bolivian rams?

So would I get like 5 more of the rummy noses and 5 more of the bleeding hearts and maybe 2 bolivian rams?

I would get rid of the flying foxes. They grow up to 5 inches. If you do that, then adding the tetras and rams like you said would be good. I have a bolivian ram, and I love her, but she is a very picky eater.

Well right now my tank is infested with Black Beard Algae and the flying foxes are the only ones that are eating it.

Back
Top Bottom