Need help with cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he has the idea it only has to be cycled the first time out of the box and not understanding if its torn down cleaned and moved it has to be re cycled

As said above an 8 gal Biorb really limits your options. That tank is NOT suitable for Neons IMO. They require large schools and are very active fish that need a lot of horizontal swim space; a 20 gal long at least would be ideal for them. Can you fit them in there? yes. Will they be happy and thrive? No.

Definitely no to a goldfish; they need 20 gals at least just for one as they are very messy fish.

Other than a Betta I don't think there are any other fish that would be happy in that size and shape tank. Information given on manuals are not accurate, btw. The 1" fish per gallon rule is not accurate at all; the type of fish and their requirements need to be taken into account (as with the Neons above). The manuals also tell you to change out your filter media every x amount of months which is wrong and can uncycle your tank.

Also if you are going to keep this tank I'd set it up and do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia (link in my signature: new empty tank) to be absolutely sure it's fully cycled before adding any fish.

librarygirl said:
As said above an 8 gal Biorb really limits your options. That tank is NOT suitable for Neons IMO. They require large schools and are very active fish that need a lot of horizontal swim space; a 20 gal long at least would be ideal for them. Can you fit them in there? yes. Will they be happy and thrive? No.

Definitely no to a goldfish; they need 20 gals at least just for one as they are very messy fish.

Other than a Betta I don't think there are any other fish that would be happy in that size and shape tank. Information given on manuals are not accurate, btw. The 1" fish per gallon rule is not accurate at all; the type of fish and their requirements need to be taken into account (as with the Neons above). The manuals also tell you to change out your filter media every x amount of months which is wrong and can uncycle your tank.

Also if you are going to keep this tank I'd set it up and do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia (link in my signature: new empty tank) to be absolutely sure it's fully cycled before adding any fish.

Thanks for all you guys help:). I am really confused so will need help. Let's start with the cycling.i T was cycled by a fish keeper who gave it to me just after it was done and took like 1 third of the water with it intransit so cycling is over. Now I have it running for 2 days with no fish. I need a stock list. Please help!

And also please no bettas I really hate them n dont know why... Also no shrimp. Will endlers livebearers work? I like their colors

The first thing to find out is if it was properly cycled. Letting a tank run for a while doesn't properly cycle it. If he had the tank for a long while with fish in it and then gave it to you and kept the filter media wet in transit then yes it could be cycled, but otherwise probably not. The best way is to set it up, run it, and add pure ammonia. Get a good liquid test kit (the API Master is best) and dose the tank with ammonia daily and do water tests to ensure that ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 at the 24 hour mark after adding the ammonia. The guide I suggested before (new empty tank) in my signature will walk you through the process. It's best to be safe and be 100% sure the tank is really cycled prior to adding fish.

Again an 8 gal biorb limits your options considerably due to the lack of horizontal swim room.

librarygirl said:
The first thing to find out is if it was properly cycled. Letting a tank run for a while doesn't properly cycle it. If he had the tank for a long while with fish in it and then gave it to you and kept the filter media wet in transit then yes it could be cycled, but otherwise probably not. The best way is to set it up, run it, and add pure ammonia. Get a good liquid test kit (the API Master is best) and dose the tank with ammonia daily and do water tests to ensure that ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 at the 24 hour mark after adding the ammonia. The guide I suggested before (new empty tank) in my signature will walk you through the process. It's best to be safe and be 100% sure the tank is really cycled prior to adding fish.

Again an 8 gal biorb limits your options considerably due to the lack of horizontal swim room.

Thanx. I will do that. Now for the stock list. What would you recommend for a beginner and you know my taste

librarygirl said:
I believe you could do Endler's but I'm not a stocking expert so maybe someone else can confirm. :D

But the thing is endlers are rare in south Africa.... Would have to pay a fortune. Like 20 dollars a fish. What do you recommend? Will guppies be ok?
If they are I will get
2 males
5 females

Its my birthday tomorrow so maybe the pet store will give me a discount:)

Blueangel4730 said:
I really dont think you get it...YOU CAN NOT PUT THAT MANY FISH IN THAT TANK!!!!!!!!

I know thats why I asked what do u RECOMMEND. so what do u recommend?

Let's keep this civil folks. I know how passionate some of you can get about the welfare of the fish. Just remember, he is asking for your help!

As far as stocking, I think it has been said already. An 8g really doesn't leave you with many options. Bettas are an option but you're not interested in them.

Guppies may do fine for a while but I would recommend getting all males or all females. If you have a mix of males and females, they will breed and over populate your tank.

Didnt mean to get rude, you keep wanting several fish and it just wont work. You can do a shrimp tank, a snail tank, a betta tank or just a pair of small fish. Stocking 6 or 8 fish like you are wanting simply wont work unless you get a bigger tank.

How about a dedicated shrimp-only tank for now. They breed like crazy if kept alone, so you could raise them, sell the offspring to make some $ and save up for the Endlers (I totally agree to keep it one gender).

I know we've already mentioned cycling...but just so we're all on the same page...the water itself doesn't contain the beneficial bacteria you need. The vast majority is in the filter media. Assuming the tank was previously established and the filter media stayed wet...it may be okay. If the filters were changed or dried out at all...it is no longer viable. Also, I'm not sure how long the tank has been empty...but the beneficial bacteria needs a food source (ammonia), so if there has been no fish or another ammo source in the tank for any significant amount of time...it may not be cycled anymore. It might be a good idea to add in a small dosage of pure ammonia, or toss in a shrimp and see if the toxins are converted by any remaining bio-filter.

* Also, the box my 5 gallon Fluval Chi came in had a picture of 3 or 4 Goldfish in the tank...and that's obviously not an appropriate stocking for a 5 gallon tank. I definitely encourage you to not follow the manufacturers recommendations for the tank. I still like the shrimp idea :D

Last edited:
For the naysayers, if you keep up on waterchanges...most of the fish he wants ought to be fine...guppies, neons, endlers. Keep the tank clean, and they'll do okay. I have a dozen neons in a 75g tank...what do you know, they rarely swim around. I also have several angelfish..ZOMG! I must be psycho, right? Angels eat neons so I need to give them back to my fish store right away! How about you get a little first hand experience before you start spouting off stuff you have read on the internet. I successfully keep and breed healthy fish in tanks that you guys would throw a fit over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is also ok to keep 8 ppl in a closet as long as you vacum once a week?

Now you are comparing apples to oranges. Fish and people are completely independent beings that have different requirements. If you want to go there and try making that comparison, would you keep a person in his house for his entire life and never let him out...AKA keeping a fish in a tank for his entire life. Doesn't make any sense does it?

Again folks, let's keep this CIVIL. This is the last warning or I will be closing this thread. I think for the most part, we've all given our stocking advice to the OP. Keep things on topic and please remain civil.

Back
Top Bottom