Need Opinions on which way to go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again.....we just got home from tank shopping. I am more confused now than ever! Seems the 40 gal breeder tank from Aqueon is $109 at everyshop for just the tank. Versatop is $38....then there is lighting too. Petsmart has a 40 gal breeder TopFin combo, tank, glass top and light for $130. I'm not sure of the quality of TopFin though.

As we were looking at stuff, my husband suggested I buy an Aqueon 20 gallon combo kit $57. It includes everything, tank lights, hood, filter, heater. The lady at the store said all you need is gravel and fish. My husband thinks it would be better to try things out for $57 and if we really do enjoy the hobby we can upgrade later instead of jumping right in at hundreds of dollars....any thoughts on this?

My honest opinion- go with the 40 breeder. Reason I say this, the 40 will give you so many more options than the 20. Starting out, the 40 will be more forgiving than the 20. You can stock so many more fish in a 40 than you can in a 20. Plus... no sooner than you get started, you're going to say "man, this tank is little". Ultimately though, its up to you. If you feel more comfortable with a 20, go for it. If you do things right from the start, which I am most certain you will with all the research you've done already, I think you're going to find this hobby VERY rewarding.

Thanks Jon, I think I just needed to hear someone else say it! Do you have any experience with PetSmarts TopFin brand? Would that combo be a good start, or just go with the Aqueon stuff seperately?

40 Gallon for sure. Twenty gallons really is very limiting, depending on what types of fish you want to keep. The biggest reason though, is because the bigger the tank is, the more stable it is in the long run. The 40 gallon breeder is my favorite tank and I really think that you will love it! You can fit more fish, and the extra width allows a better canvas for decorating.

I've seen 37 and 29 gallon tanks with everything included at petsmart. Either one is better than a 20. And I believe both were top fin. I check out the sales there almost weekly lol

Have you looked on craigslist? Just another option...I'd go with the bigger option too...

OKay everyone, thanks for your help so far. I'll be looking for more advice in the very near future because I am now the proud owner of my very first tank!! I went to PetSmart and bought the TopFin 40 gal breeder tank. It came with an Aqueon Versa Top and an Aqueon flourescent fixture and bulb. I also bought an AquaClear 70 power filter. It is getting pretty real now! We are still looking for a nice stand, so nothing will be set up yet, but hopefully soon.

Nice purchase on the Aqua Clear, I have had nothing but oustanding performance from mine. I also agree with the bigger tank and glad you went with it. AS stated above you will be thinking that tank is small very soon. I have a 75g and I yearn for a bigger tank as soon as I can feasibly do it! Congratulations on your tank and welcome to the hobby!! :scatter:

It's true, I just bought a 50 gal less than a month ago, thinking how huge the tank was, then joined this site and feel like it's tiny... I mean it isn't, but I look at all the possibilities I could have in a larger tank and it's just like dang... I still love my 50 gal, but be prepared to still want a bigger tank haha...

Back
Top Bottom