Need opinions shortly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeH2014

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I just completed my first fishless cycle last night. I completed my 80-90% water change early this morning and am going to the fish store this evening after work (2 more hours). Here is my stocking list that I've formulated:

4x Cory
2x Sunset Platy (fry, already in tank)
10x Neon Tetras
6x Harlequin Rasboras
2x Blue Rams
10x Rummy Nose Tetra

My plan was to get the corys, the platys (of course), the neons, and the rasboras today. Then I would go back for the blue rams and rummy nose tetras later. However, after reading a bit, I'm concerned about adding the corys and tetras early in the process. I've seen several mentions about adding them later on after the aquarium is up and running.

Can I hear your thoughts before I go to the store?

As an aside, I had planned on a dwarf gourami (to be added later as well), but I decided it's to risky, so I think I'll just go with the rams as my centerpiece fish.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

I wouldn't add all them at once

I would add a few at a time, as your having a few of each you could add one breed at a time, then watch for readings to all go to normal again

Better to be safe and careful, then overload straight away

Forgot to add, corys are hardy fish if your tank levels are all stable then you can add them,

Sent from my fish phone

Get one species at a time and space them apart by a good week or two.

Neons and GBRs are sensitive to nitrates and abrupt changes in water chemistry. Add these towards the end (I'd add the rams last), after your tank has been up and running for a while and you're sure that there are no swings in pH or ammonia/nitrite spikes. Corys are relatively tough but would do better with a little bit of extra food already scattered about the bottom of the tank. They're a good fish to add second or third.

I'd get the Rummys or Harlequins first. I added eight of the former to my tank two days after it cycled and they were fine.

Thanks meliboouk! I was only going to add the corys, platys, neons, and rasboras today. You think even those are too much at once?

Thanks PNW! I was under the impression that I could load my tank to 100% capacity following a fishless cycle. However, I was going to be conservative and add half of them or so. Maybe I'll tone it down a little bit more.

Yes. It's best to add only one species at a time.

Also, keep in mind that GBRs may not do well if your nitrates are above 10 ppm. You'll want to get your tank almost fully stocked to see if you can keep your nitrates within that range.

Yes. It's best to add only one species at a time.

Also, keep in mind that GBRs may not do well if your nitrates are above 10 ppm. You'll want to get your tank almost fully stocked to see if you can keep your nitrates within that range.

Do as this man says, he explained what I was trying to say a bit better

Good luck on your new fishy adventure

Sent from my fish phone

You guys are great! Thank you so much for your help. I will do what you've said and go with the Rummy Nose first. I'm so glad I reached out for help!

OK, that should be fine. I just wanted to make sure that your rams will have enough space on the bottom to share with the corys and Rummys. They get territorial when in pairs.

Your stocking list looks good. Lots of compatible fish that will do well in soft-ish, near-neutral water. Good luck!

It's funny you say that because I've been a little concerned with pH. During my fishless cycle, it was sitting constantly around 8.2. I read that it tends to run high during the cycle, so I'm hopeful it comes down now that I'm complete. I did not measure it this morning as I figured it would be inaccurate anyways due to the large water change.

I've also read that steady pH is more important than the correct pH, within reason of course. This pH though has caused me to wonder if Rams would do alright.

Hold off on getting your fish for right now. Measure the pH tomorrow and then again the next day, just to make sure that it's steady. What is the pH of your tap water?

GBRs will probably fail at pH 8.2. Neons may or may not be OK above 8.0.

If you pH is in the mid/upper 7's tomorrow, you might want to add peat moss pellets to your filter. That'll slowly acidify your tank over the course of a few weeks (which is safe). The downside is that it'll also darken the water (though your fish will be fine with this).

I would shoot for a pH in the mid-7's or lower for Neons and low 7's or lower for GBRs.

In order to properly test pH of tap water, don't I need to test it after it has sat out or been oxidized for 24 hours?

I have city water, so no special situation is present. If it turns out that my water pH is naturally high, am I doomed for fish keeping? I have no interest in purchasing special water or going to extreme measures to get different water.

Yes, you have to let your tap water equilibrate overnight to get an accurate pH reading.

City water pH varies from city to city. You're not "doomed for fishkeeping," but you need to know the pH of your tank and make sure that you purchase compatible fish. If your tap water is pH 8.2, you may not be able to keep fish that *strongly* prefer acidic water, like rams and Neon tetras.

You should also check the GH (general hardness) of your water. You can purchase a test kit for this at your LFS. This is arguably more important than pH. For example, tetras and rams will not do well in hard water. If you have hard water, you may want to do mollies instead.

Here's a pic of my tests from last night. I don't have a hardness test, but thought maybe of taking it into the pet store and having it tested.

I'll test my tap water after its been sitting for 24 hours to see what I get.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408524837326.jpg
    1408524837326.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 44
Note from what I've learned is the corys are bottom feeders but only the panda Cory is an AE. Jump in if I'm wrong, I'm not very experienced and what I have learned I learned the hard way. By mistake. Avoid CAE.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom