Need some advice: found out my bb goby prefers brackishwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhymeswithbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What should I do? I have my bb goby in a 10 gallon fw with a pleco (yes, I know he will get too large for that tank), some white clouds, and some rasbora. The tank has a heater set to 79 degrees and an HOB filter. My friend offered to give me her 50 gallon with all the fixins for free. I want to put my pleco in there, so I can keep him. However, I do not know what to do with all my other fish. I was told that the pleco would eat them when he got large enough. I had thought to keep them in the 10 gallon and keep it a freshwater tank but if the bumblebee goby is brackish maybe I should make the 10 gal a brackish tank and put the other fish with the pleco. Or should I just take back all the small fish? Or just the goby? Will my pleco not eat the other fish? Help! Thanks.

No, the pleco which is probably a common pleco you're talking about are strictly herbivores and therefore do not eat any fish. So, I would transfer him and the other freshwater fish to the 50 gallon and turn the ten gal into a brackish tank :) .

Actually common plecos do tend to be slightly carnivorous as they mature, they start sucking the slime coats off of fish such as goldfish which ends up killing the fish. However with white clouds and rasboras he might be fine, as this usually tends to happen to larger slow moving fish. Also herbivore or not, all fish will eat a fish if it can catch it and fit it into it's mouth. Other than that warning, I suggest you do as Blazeherd2306 said (or wrote).

I have had 2 bb gobies, and a violet goby in a community tank for well over a year with no ill effects. I know both types of gobies should be kept in brackish, but feel that if the water parameters are stable, most fish do well. The biggest problem a lot of people have with both types of gobies is feeding. Bumble bee goby's often are picky, and violet gobies have tiny eyes which makes it hard for them to find food before its eaten by the rest of the inhabitants. I had to hand feed the voilet (dragon) goby for the first while as I trained him to come to a certain spot in the front of the tank at feeding time. Luckily the bb's accepted frozen bloodworms and get enough as I feed the dragon. I have a coarse gravel also which isn't great for the dragon as they like to filter though the gravel for their food.With hand feeding I make sure everyone gets enough of what they need.

Back
Top Bottom