Need some advice with new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kushtre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be purchasing a 48 gal tank in a couple days that is already set up and running with a parrot fish, some cories, an 8 inch pleco, some other random fish. Its a 20 min drive from the pick up so it should be to bad on them.

What I would like to do is change the substrate as soon as possable. Can i do this when i get home, or would it be better to leave whats in the tank for a few days (few weeks?) until the fish relax after the trip?

personally i would wait. you could do it there are bacteria on the substrate so you might have a mini cycle. keep the media and substrate wet if you are going to keep using it. since its so close but still going to take time to take down and set back up. it should be fine though.

...wait so can i furnish the tank with new substrate before i refill the tank at my house?

You could, but it would be easier on the fish if you wait until the tank re-establishes at your house, then change it over gradually. MG is right, you can end up with a mini-cycle if you change it over too soon... that said, if you have a good liquid test kit and you are willing to do extra (possibly large) water changes, you'll be able to get the fish through a mini-cycle. Regardless, you have to make sure that your filter media stays wet during the move, especially if you go for the substrate change. You'll need to work quickly once you pick up the tank.

If you end up with a common pleco, I'd suggest finding a new home for it. They simply grow too large to be kept in anything but very large tanks or ponds.

Good luck with the new tank! :)

Back
Top Bottom