Need stocking suggestions for a 12 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gouramithedwarf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys.. I m new to this hobby, got a customised 12 gallon... It's been 2 weeks.. And i have cycling with 6 glowlight tetras.... Want to Know if later I can have a dwarf gourami with them.. And a siamese algae eater... Thanks in advance

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could do a dwarf gourami, but I wouldn't do an SAE. I would get 3 otocinclus or Amano shrimp.

I wanted to go for shrimp.. But it's quite difficult to get shrimps here.. We rarely even get ghost or cherry... Why not SAE?.... Just out-of curiosity...

Sent from my "I don't want you to know" phone using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From what I have read is that as the sAe will start sucking the slime coat off some os the fish as they get older and bigger there by killing the other fish. The gourami would be at risk and any fish with that type of body shape such as angels. For algea you would be better off with a netrite snail or two which won't harm any of your other fish that you decide on. Alison:fish2:

From what I have read is that as the sAe will start sucking the slime coat off some os the fish as they get older and bigger there by killing the other fish. The gourami would be at risk and any fish with that type of body shape such as angels. For algea you would be better off with a netrite snail or two which won't harm any of your other fish that you decide on. Alison:fish2:

Never heard that before, I have just heard they eat less algae as they mature. Maybe they do, so I wouldn't wanna risk it.

Okk thanks for the suggestion.. Will do some more research before finalising.... It's quite difficult to get any inverts here in India :(

Okk thanks for the suggestion.. Will do some more research before finalising.... It's quite difficult to get any inverts here in India :(

I bet it is. Isn't there some aquarium fish native to India?

SAE do suck slime coat off other fish. I've seen it in action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The LFS guy is suggesting a golden algae eater... But I have researched a bit.. And a golden algae eater is actually a CAE.... I don't think he knows a lot about fish.. An SAE is quite different from a CAE right?

The LFS guy is suggesting a golden algae eater... But I have researched a bit.. And a golden algae eater is actually a CAE.... I don't think he knows a lot about fish.. An SAE is quite different from a CAE right?

Cae and SAE are different. Cae get 8" plus and will be aggressive and suck slime off of other fish. I would advise against buying one.

So I think I will go with a SAE.... The LFS has it.. And it's a small one.. Thanks..

So I think I will go with a SAE.... The LFS has it.. And it's a small one.. Thanks..

It's not nice to put big fish in tiny tanks. I know it's small now. But you aren't allowing any growing room.

Otos are better in small tanks.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a well balanced planted tank, you won't get Algae.

Algae is a sign of imbalance.

I control Algae with lighting on timers, weekly PWCs, and not overfeeding.

I've never had Algae in this tank. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418798650.316749.jpg

In a well balanced planted tank, you won't get Algae.

Algae is a sign of imbalance.

I control Algae with lighting on timers, weekly PWCs, and not overfeeding.

I've never had Algae in this tank. View attachment 258682

I have been ditching algae eaters recently, and like Coursair said, it is just a matter of feeding, wcs, and lighting.

I feed my fish once a day.. Do a 25 % water change every 2 days.. But I have started to notice some algae on some parts of my filter and heater wires... So thought of getting an algae eater

Back
Top Bottom