Need stocking suggestions for a 12 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feed my fish once a day.. Do a 25 % water change every 2 days.. But I have started to notice some algae on some parts of my filter and heater wires... So thought of getting an algae eater

Sent from my "I don't want you to know" phone using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long are you running lights ?
Are you dosing any Carbon ?

I only run my lights 6-8hrs a day. Lights on timers.

In a small tank, a Nerite might be best.
I love Otos as well. But they are social.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lights run for even fewer hours.... And for the last 4 days.. Haven't been running light.. It's gone for repair.. Getting any inverts here in India is extremely difficult

UPDATE : the LFS has otos.. But can they be kept alone?

But my tank is a 12 gallon.. 3 otos 6 glowlight and a dwarf gourami would be too much

If it's heavily planted, it should be ok. Just keep up on water changes.

At least get 2 Otos. Singles typically waste away.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some otos they are amazing but if you get them acclimate them very slowly they are super sensitive!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just got a couple of artificial plants.. Thinking of getting some java moss.... So I Think now otos are ruled out :(

Thanks for the suggestion Coursair.... Do java ferns grow in gravel?.. And i think I will ditch out on an algae eater...

Okk.. Thanks for the info buddy..

Don't get the Otos until a long time after the tank finishes cycling. They are sensitive and eat not just algae but biofilm (which only established tanks have). I stick to Otos that have been in the fish store at least a week, are eating well, and then drip acclimate them with very slow drip from the main tank through airline tubing. Some will eat algae wafers some won't.

Careful cycling with tetras, I often hear they are less suitable for cycling.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I m not getting any algae eater for a while.. It's been two weeks.. Every 2 days I do 20% water changes.. Which seems to be helping.. The fish are happy and playful.. I am feeding good quality micropellets.. Very few.. Once a day

Are you testing the water? That sounds like more food and fewer water changes than fish in cycles sometimes need.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Noo.. I have ordered the test kit.. Yet to receive it.. Too frequent water changes are not usually good right... I add just a bit of food.. About the tip of a match stick every morning

Back
Top Bottom