Need to change filter in new Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brookie_sab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did something very stupid... I have and Eclipse 5 Gal with the Bio Wheel that had been sitting in my garage and basement for 7 years. I just pulled it out and set it up for my kids yesterday. I added the "good bacteria" and let it run for 24 hours, then added 4 neon tetras... the problem is that I didn't put a new filter in first... the water is a little cloudy now. Would I be better to just leave the filter and hope for the best, or should I go ahead and replace the filter. The BioWheel part looks brand new but the other filter with the carbon looks a little used... not sure how old it was 7 years ago when I put it in storage. If I change the filter to a new one now am I just asking for more problems? Thank you for any help you can give me... It has been so long since I had a tank set up, I feel like a total Newbie!!

Hi, I'm fairly new too, but can help out.

If you set up the tank 24hours ago it won't be cycled yet.
Read here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html
The filter is not a big concern compared with the fact the bio system of the tank is not in place yet.
Couple of questions.
What water source did you use to fill the tank? Did you condition the water to remove chlorine, chloramine, etc.? Do you have a test kit for freshwater aquariums? (Like API master freshwater test kit?) It will let you test for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Those readings will tell you alot about whats happening inside your tank. Test the water in the tank and the tap water( if thats what you used to fill the tank) and post the readings here. That set up doesn't have a heater I believe. What is the water temp of the tank? You say you added "good bacteria". What was it and how much was added?
Also if the tank is not cycled 4 neon tetras won't do well in a 5 gallon tank when the ammonia starts going up. Constant water changes will be the only way to keep the levels low enough to not kill or cause long term damage to them. You may want to consider taking them back to the store for a credit till the tank is ready.

^ What he said. Also, if the Tetra's are still kicking, take them back, and get a minnow or something. Tetra's are very sensitive, and will die in a tank that isnt mature .

Hi Brookie, welcome to AA.

It is very likely that the neon tetras won't survive the cycling process. As Jim suggested, it'd be best to take them back to the store. I personally wouldn't get another fish for cycling. A fishless cycle is better way to go IMO. It'll be less labour-intensive and won't cause harm to the fish.

Bacteria-in-a bottle products are generally worthless. Nothing can really substitute nature. You'll either need to grow the bacteria in your tank from scratch or altenatively you can "seed" your tank by getting hold of filter media from another tank that is already established.

Thank you all for the help. I will take them back to the store and start over!

Back
Top Bottom