Needing some advice for 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olleewood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I got a 55 gallon tank from my neighbor who moved. It came with a few fish and we moved it over to our house with a couple inches of the original water, moved the fish in a cooler, and then filled the tank back up with some water with water conditioner. Things seemed to be going good. I've never had fish before so it's been a huge learning curve. I don't think the fish my neighbor had go together at all, so I'm needing a little advice. One of the fish has killed two others... but here's what is there now.

1 x small goldfish
2 x pearl gourami
1 x black ghost knife fish

There were when we first got the tank also...
2 x plecos
1 x blue gourami
1 x red tailed shark

The BGK I believe has killed 1 pleco (he was little) and the blue gourami (he was very pretty, made me sad to see). I gave away the other pleco and the RTS because the pleco was wayyy too big, he was over a foot long and the RTS was chasing all the other fish so I figured he could go to. Since the pleco was killed, I have no algae eater... and I'm not even sure what to do now. It's been about a month, so the tank has had some time to equalize. The BGK now has a cave to hide in so he hasn't caused anymore trouble since then.

But anyway, I'm not sure what to do now. The tank is pretty empty right now with just a few fish, but I don't want to get more until I know what to get and if I should rehome the BGK, (he's really neat looking though) to get something else. I would prefer some flashy fish as my son loves to watch them. I'm afraid to get more goldfish because they are messy and the gouramis... They are fairly peaceful gouramis though. And I need an algae eater...

Where should I start everyone?

olleewood said:
So, I got a 55 gallon tank from my neighbor who moved. It came with a few fish and we moved it over to our house with a couple inches of the original water, moved the fish in a cooler, and then filled the tank back up with some water with water conditioner. Things seemed to be going good. I've never had fish before so it's been a huge learning curve. I don't think the fish my neighbor had go together at all, so I'm needing a little advice. One of the fish has killed two others... but here's what is there now.

1 x small goldfish
2 x pearl gourami
1 x black ghost knife fish

There were when we first got the tank also...
2 x plecos
1 x blue gourami
1 x red tailed shark

The BGK I believe has killed 1 pleco (he was little) and the blue gourami (he was very pretty, made me sad to see). I gave away the other pleco and the RTS because the pleco was wayyy too big, he was over a foot long and the RTS was chasing all the other fish so I figured he could go to. Since the pleco was killed, I have no algae eater... and I'm not even sure what to do now. It's been about a month, so the tank has had some time to equalize. The BGK now has a cave to hide in so he hasn't caused anymore trouble since then.

But anyway, I'm not sure what to do now. The tank is pretty empty right now with just a few fish, but I don't want to get more until I know what to get and if I should rehome the BGK, (he's really neat looking though) to get something else. I would prefer some flashy fish as my son loves to watch them. I'm afraid to get more goldfish because they are messy and the gouramis... They are fairly peaceful gouramis though. And I need an algae eater...

Where should I start everyone?

Hi and welcome to AA!

My first suggestion is to google the nitrogen cycle and do some research. Weekly water changes are needed to keep a tank healthy. Depending on the bioload 25-50% will be needed. Vacuuming the gravel every few water changes is needed to remove any uneaten food and waste. When cleaning the filter don't throw out the filter pads. Just swish them in a bucket of tank water to remove the buildup of waste. Do not use tap water to rinse filter media. The chlorine and chloramine in it will kill off most of the BB (beneficial bacteria) which are needed to keep your tank cycled (refer to nitrogen cycle).

I would suggest getting a test kit to keep an eye in your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH). The API freshwater master test kit is the most recommended. Do not alter your pH most fish can adapt to a different pH. pH altering chemicals do more harm than good.

I would rehome the BGK and the goldfish. The BGK will get too big for the tank and may eat the remaining fish. The gold fish requires a different temperature to tropicals fish and shouldn't be kept with them. If the gouramis get along a would keep them but not add any more. They are beautiful fish IMO.

A 55 gives you a lot of stocking options. You could get a couple of schools of schooling fish like tetras. You don't NEED an algae eater but if you wish to keep one I would recommend a bristlenose pleco. They stay a lot smaller than the common pleco. I would like to recommend a corydora school too great little bottom dwellers.

Stock the tank slowly so you don't overload your BB. Adding a few fish every couple of weeks is recommended. Before buying a fish research it's needs, max size, compatible tank mates and if it needs a school.

What kind of filter to you have?
Do you have a heater?
Anymore questions don't be afraid to ask!

Hi! Welcome to AA!!!! I will second Mummas advice here- although i can not speak for the tropicals (heater needed) i can speak for the goldfish. You either need to rehome the goldfish (a coldwater fish) or rehome the rest of your fish & keep the goldfish sans heater. Coldwater & tropicals dont mix & need seperatre environments to be healthy & thriving. I will also second the advice for for an API fw test kit- this is is highly suggested for keeping your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph) in check. Please read up on the nitrogen cycle so you can understand what is going on in your new tank & how to address any issues. Please dont hesitate to ask questions if you dont understand anything- we are all here to help!!!

Hi again! I had to look back and check when exactly I did get the aquarium, it was Oct 7th, so it has been a little longer than I though (time is flying!).

I do have a heater in the tank, the temp is 76 degrees. I don't have a testing kit, I'll have to get one. I'm not sure what type of filter it is, it's a single normal filter. I was told by my neighbor not to change it out but to just rinse it, I'll make sure not to use the tap for that now. I have been changing the water about 10% a week, tap with water conditioner. The water is very clear looking, is that a bad thing? There was no algae in it at my neighbors either, but there were those plecos probably keeping things very clean.

I thought it was weird that there was a goldfish in there, it's a fantail, so I guess medium sized, can he live in a bowl so I could keep him? I haven't had anymore issues with the BGK but I'm always kind of scared every time I look in the tank that more fish will be eaten. He has a cave now so he doesn't come out much except to eat, very neat fish, but I don't want the others in danger... I love the gouramis, I would love to have more.

I would love some schooling fish, do they do okay with the gouramis? The blue gourami that we had got pretty big, will they eat smaller fish? What are some acceptable kinds of schooling fish? And what about some dwarf gouramis? I'm not planning on adding any fish for awhile, Christmas has cleaned my wallet for a bit, but I would like to have a plan. I would prefer something colorful, my son loves that goldfish because he's so bright.

Thanks in advanced for the advice and I will definitely read up on the nitrogen cycle.

olleewood said:
Hi again! I had to look back and check when exactly I did get the aquarium, it was Oct 7th, so it has been a little longer than I though (time is flying!).

I do have a heater in the tank, the temp is 76 degrees. I don't have a testing kit, I'll have to get one. I'm not sure what type of filter it is, it's a single normal filter. I was told by my neighbor not to change it out but to just rinse it, I'll make sure not to use the tap for that now. I have been changing the water about 10% a week, tap with water conditioner. The water is very clear looking, is that a bad thing? There was no algae in it at my neighbors either, but there were those plecos probably keeping things very clean.

I thought it was weird that there was a goldfish in there, it's a fantail, so I guess medium sized, can he live in a bowl so I could keep him? I haven't had anymore issues with the BGK but I'm always kind of scared every time I look in the tank that more fish will be eaten. He has a cave now so he doesn't come out much except to eat, very neat fish, but I don't want the others in danger... I love the gouramis, I would love to have more.

I would love some schooling fish, do they do okay with the gouramis? The blue gourami that we had got pretty big, will they eat smaller fish? What are some acceptable kinds of schooling fish? And what about some dwarf gouramis? I'm not planning on adding any fish for awhile, Christmas has cleaned my wallet for a bit, but I would like to have a plan. I would prefer something colorful, my son loves that goldfish because he's so bright.

Thanks in advanced for the advice and I will definitely read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Welcome back!
If you can get the test kit ASAP that will let you know if the tank has gone back into cycle. Did I read correctly that you had washed the media in tap water? If you have you could have killed off the majority of the BB. I would suggest doing 50% water change every 1-2 days until you get the test kit. Clear water isn't an indication of healthy water. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are colorless and can be very harmful to fish.

Goldfish can not live in bowls. They are very messy fish and produce more ammonia than a tropical fish the same size. The rule with fancy goldfish, like the one you have, is 20g for the first fish and 10g for each fish after that. They need High filtration. 10x the size of the aquarium.

Even if you are not experiencing any problems with the BGK I would still rehome it. It will out grow the tank.

Gouramis won't eat other fish (except fry or very tiny fish) so can be kept with tetras, etc. They are territorial so I wouldn't recommend adding any more gouramis including dwarfs and honeys.

A good thing to do when trying to decide on fish is to have a browse around your LFS and see what fish catch your eye. You can then come home and research them (and ask on AA) to see if they are suitable for your tank.

I haven't rinsed the filter yet, it was good to know as I was planning on doing so soon. How often does the filter need cleaned?

I'll put an ad out for the goldfish and the BGK, hopefully someone will want them. Our LFS just went out of business, so I only have the bigger pet stores to shop around, just the typical fare.

I was also wondering about changing out the decor and gravel. It needs a little TLC, right now it's a bit on the cheesy side. Is replacing the gravel/decor going to negatively affect things? Is it impossible to change the gravel with the water in?

olleewood said:
I haven't rinsed the filter yet, it was good to know as I was planning on doing so soon. How often does the filter need cleaned?

I'll put an ad out for the goldfish and the BGK, hopefully someone will want them. Our LFS just went out of business, so I only have the bigger pet stores to shop around, just the typical fare.

I was also wondering about changing out the decor and gravel. It needs a little TLC, right now it's a bit on the cheesy side. Is replacing the gravel/decor going to negatively affect things? Is it impossible to change the gravel with the water in?

When the flow is reduced you can clean it.

I'm sure someone will want them. Have you asked the other stores. Even if you donate them to them.

You can change out the gravel and decor. It usually doesn't cause any issues but if the tank has been neglected there are couple of thing to watch out for. Most of the BB live in the filter but some live in the substrate. When you remove it and replace sometimes the tank goes into a mini cycle. A mini cycle is a slight jump in ammonia and nitrite from the usual zero. Water changes and testing will be needed until it finishes and the tank stabilizes again. Something else to watch out for is a nitrate spike caused by all the mulm (fish poo in the substrate) being kicked up while moving all the substrate. So before you change it out it would be a good idea to have your test kit.

Sounds good. When I get my test kit, how do I change the results if they are too high in nitrates, etc? Also, what are your thoughts on plants? It may be a little too much work for me to get real ones, but I read of people using lots of silk plants?

olleewood said:
Sounds good. When I get my test kit, how do I change the results if they are too high in nitrates, etc? Also, what are your thoughts on plants? It may be a little too much work for me to get real ones, but I read of people using lots of silk plants?

If ammonia or nitrite are over 0 you need to do a PWC to bring it down. That means you are cycling/mini cycling. The end product of the cycle is nitrate. Weekly PWC will bring it down. Ideally you want to keep is under 20ppm.

I have 4 planted tanks, all low tech/low light. (look in my album) It's not hard once you get the right lighting and find plants suitable for it. The higher the lighting the more nutrients/fertilizer and co2 your plants will need. There are some hardy easy to grow low light plants. Java fern, mosses, anubias, swords, banana lillies, crypts, etc.

I agree with revoking the bgk not just because he will eventually out grow the tank but, because he will only get along with bigger fish.so that cuts out any cool schooling fish you want. If you do want a knife, I recommend getting a African knife they only get about 8inches but will also eat small fish. But it's better than a 12 inch bgk

I forgot to ask if you can see any brand name or numbers on the filter? If its the standard stock filter it may not be enough. Manufacturers usually over rate filters. It's better to over filter than under filter.

Hi again! The filter is an aqueon 55.

I posted the BGK and goldfish online and someone is wanting to trade the BGK for two platys and a bristlenose Pleco. Not sure if platys are good with the two gouramis? Someone else emailed too but they only had a 30 gallon tank so told them that wouldn't work. Hoping I get a few more inquiries, but any thoughts on platys?

olleewood said:
Hi again! The filter is an aqueon 55.

I posted the BGK and goldfish online and someone is wanting to trade the BGK for two platys and a bristlenose Pleco. Not sure if platys are good with the two gouramis? Someone else emailed too but they only had a 30 gallon tank so told them that wouldn't work. Hoping I get a few more inquiries, but any thoughts on platys?

The platys and the bristlenose will work well with the gouramis. :)

Back
Top Bottom