Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Multies are among the easiest fish to breed! They do not eat their own fry and actually protect them viciously. My multies have actually nipped at my hand and at my siphon defending their fry. You don't need to remove the fry and it's actually almost impossible to do so. All you need to do is provide food for them.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
Multies are among the easiest fish to breed! They do not eat their own fry and actually protect them viciously. My multies have actually nipped at my hand and at my siphon defending their fry. You don't need to remove the fry and it's actually almost impossible to do so. All you need to do is provide food for them.

Thats good to know. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tonight I'm dismantling the old setup (it was saltwater) and I'll wash everything with vinegar and water. I've heard it should be fine doing that, but will it? Or is there something else I should do to convert my 10 gallon from saltwater to freshwater?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450750905.773306.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	282396
Tonight, I took all the sand, coral, and water out. I cleaned the glass really good with vinegar. Then I filled it up and drained it over four times just to make sure everything was okay.

Right now, I filled it up and tested the salinity to make sure there wasn't any salt in it. There wasn't.

Besides the tank itself and the light, I won't be using anything else from the old tank. Will this be okay? The vinegar won't harm the fish will it?

Once the sand and shells come in, I'll drain it, get everything in place and then start cycling the tank.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpeytonm View Post
Attachment 282396
Tonight, I took all the sand, coral, and water out. I cleaned the glass really good with vinegar. Then I filled it up and drained it over four times just to make sure everything was okay.

Right now, I filled it up and tested the salinity to make sure there wasn't any salt in it. There wasn't.

Besides the tank itself and the light, I won't be using anything else from the old tank. Will this be okay? The vinegar won't harm the fish will it?

Once the sand and shells come in, I'll drain it, get everything in place and then start cycling the tank.

I'd add dechlorinator to that tank water, as it can help turn that vinegar non-toxic

Sent via echolocation
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegster803 View Post
I'd add dechlorinator to that tank water, as it can help turn that vinegar non-toxic

Sent via echolocation
You're thinking of bleach? Vinegar is just acid, the crushed coral substrate will take care of any that remains
Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've tested the salinity numerous times throughout last night and today and it has always been at 0, so I think the tank will be fine.

Once Christmas is over, I'll start getting everything I need and hopefully the sand and shells won't take too long to come in.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only other thing I'm worried about is that there are a few small green spots of what I think is algae left over from when it was saltwater. Anyone got any ideas to get rid of it? It didn't come with any of my algae scrapers. I took a towel and vinegar and tried as well, but that didn't take it off either. I'm at a loss.

There's also still just a little sand left that I'll try to siphon out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450829473.809951.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	282423Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450829496.178291.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	282424

The second pic is of the sand.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpeytonm View Post
The only other thing I'm worried about is that there are a few small green spots of what I think is algae left over from when it was saltwater. Anyone got any ideas to get rid of it? It didn't come with any of my algae scrapers. I took a towel and vinegar and tried as well, but that didn't take it off either. I'm at a loss.

There's also still just a little sand left that I'll try to siphon out.

Attachment 282423Attachment 282424

The second pic is of the sand.

I'd let the tank dry for a couple of days, then try again with the vinegar

Sent via echolocation

Tags
log, neolamprologus, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com