Neon or Rummy Nose Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
My father and I are setting up a 45 gallon tank and he's letting me pretty much pick out the fish that will go in there. I'm torn with what tetra to get a school of.

Here is what I was thinking

• 3 oto cats
  • 5 cory cats
  • 3 honey gourami
  • and the tetra school of 7-11 individuals.
So...who prefers what and why?

Both?
If I had to choose one it would be the rummy nose, even though i like both a lot. I just think the rummynose have really unique coloring on them.

Both?
If I had to choose one it would be the rummy nose, even though i like both a lot. I just think the rummynose have really unique coloring on them.
I do to and I hear they make excellent schools.

With 45 gallons you could probably do a school of each, provided your tank has some length to it. Personally I'd recommend cardinal tetras over neons too.

I would suggest three rummy nose tetra. Only because Neon Tetra tend to have to have a black light in order to see in the water and that could blind your other fish, plus, rummy nose are cuter :p best of luck!
-FishieKeeper429

I would suggest three rummy nose tetra. Only because Neon Tetra tend to have to have a black light in order to see in the water and that could blind your other fish, plus, rummy nose are cuter :p best of luck!
-FishieKeeper429

Neon tetras definitely don't need a black light. There are some tetras similar to glofish that look better under black light but i believe those are usually skirt tetras.

Personally i recommend either neons or cardinals, they're very similar but i like the cardinals coloring a little better. I have a school of rummynose in a 20 long with a betta, and they do school very well. I just think rummynose are boring.

My father and I are setting up a 45 gallon tank and he's letting me pretty much pick out the fish that will go in there. I'm torn with what tetra to get a school of.

Here is what I was thinking

[*]3 oto cats
[*]5 cory cats
[*]3 honey gourami
[*]and the tetra school of 7-11 individuals.

So...who prefers what and why?

If your tank is very new don't get the otos yet. They need a well established tank to survive.

I like both neons or rummy nose. For some reason I haven't had much luck keeping the rummys. I also really like Bloodfin Tetras or Green Fire Tetras. I have both in my 55gal

If your tank is very new don't get the otos yet. They need a well established tank to survive.

I like both neons or rummy nose. For some reason I haven't had much luck keeping the rummys. I also really like Bloodfin Tetras or Green Fire Tetras. I have both in my 55gal

I already have the ottos in my 10 gallon. I didn't know they needed a cycled tank and my 10 is cycling now but they've been in there for two weeks and are as happy, plump, and healthy as can be. I definitely won't add them to the 45 until its cycled for a week or two.

To start we would probably put in the gourami and, idk, a few feeder fish or something.

The tank is long...not sure by how much but it's longer than it is tall by a lot. I'll take a picture of it and post it.

My dad gave it a quick run down with the hose, but I'll work on cleaning it out more over the next few days. We're slowly setting it up.

tumblr_mozs95stnE1r1z2tko1_500.jpg

I already have the ottos in my 10 gallon. I didn't know they needed a cycled tank and my 10 is cycling now but they've been in there for two weeks and are as happy, plump, and healthy as can be. I definitely won't add them to the 45 until its cycled for a week or two.

To start we would probably put in the gourami and, idk, a few feeder fish or something.

The tank is long...not sure by how much but it's longer than it is tall by a lot. I'll take a picture of it and post it.

Otos eat algae & if you're tank is too new & clean there won't be any algae. They do better in an older more established tank. They're not a fish to cycle with. I also believe that fishless cycle is the fast, more efficient, & more humane way to cycle a tank.

Otos eat algae & if you're tank is too new & clean there won't be any algae. They do better in an older more established tank. They're not a fish to cycle with. I also believe that fishless cycle is the fast, more efficient, & more humane way to cycle a tank.
I understand that now, but not when I got them. I have algae wafers that they eat.

Had I known that they aren't as hardy as other fish then I wouldn't have gotten them so soon. I'm new to the hobby so yes, I'm making mistakes.

I understand that now, but not when I got them. I have algae wafers that they eat.

Had I known that they aren't as hardy as other fish then I wouldn't have gotten them so soon. I'm new to the hobby so yes, I'm making mistakes.

I think you're taking it wrong. I'm saying leave them in the 10g for now until you're new tank is a little more established then move them.

Oto's also eat more bio-film than any other food. And it is rare that an oto will eat any food added to a tank so if your's actually eat algae wafers that is a big plus. Oto's are very delicate and a lot of the problem today with Oto's dying within the first week or two is due to many catchers actually use cyanide in the water to stun the fish making them easier to catch. This also causes many to die, some quickly and some slowly but shortening their life span regardless. Oto's actually do much better when added to a tank that is 4-6 months old.

Rummynose are also delicate fish and since all are wild caught they also do better in a mature tank that's water chemisty is settled and balanced.

I like the look of wild rummynose tetras, but i would get the neon tetras because they are much hardier and not as expensive

Back
Top Bottom