Neon Tetra or Harlequin Rasbora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlequin Rasbora or Neon Tetra

• Neither. (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi!

I have a 20g high, I'm going to put 5-6 male Guppies and 4 Julii Cories in there for sure.

I want to also have a school of 6 or 7 Neon Tetra or Harlequin Rasbora.
I love both fish, and wish I could have both in my tank!

Which should I have? I can't decide, I don't really want to, lol I want both!

:)

Maybe consider getting 3 male guppies and getting some neons too :)

I currently have 5 harlequin rasboras and they are a happy little school. I would have liked more in my 20g and was worried 5 wasn't enough, but they are the showcase of my tank so far. Very active, elegant and beautiful. When I get my bigger tanks set up I am considering a much larger school of harlequins of purple emperor tetras.

I'd get a school of either neons or rasboras, but I don't think I'd try both. I like both, so I can't really give you an opinion of which fish you should choose. If anything, I'd add a few more cories.

i vote harlequins...

if you like the neons, you should check out cardinal tetras, basically the same fish with more color...

i vote harlequins...

if you like the neons, you should check out cardinal tetras, basically the same fish with more color...

Well, Neons are smaller, less expensive, and don't fin nip. Guppies have long tails and the Cardinals are known to fin nip. They are also more expensive, and more sensitive. I think neons are cute :)

As for my decision, I think I am going to get Neons. If I ever get another tank, I would set up a 10 gallon with a school of harley's and maybe a betta :)

As for now, I've jsut gotten my 20g so I'll be sticking with that for a while.

Thanks everyone for the input! :D

Well, Neons are smaller, less expensive, and don't fin nip. Guppies have long tails and the Cardinals are known to fin nip. They are also more expensive, and more sensitive. I think neons are cute :)

As for my decision, I think I am going to get Neons. If I ever get another tank, I would set up a 10 gallon with a school of harley's and maybe a betta :)

As for now, I've jsut gotten my 20g so I'll be sticking with that for a while.

Thanks everyone for the input! :D

Just and FYI, petsmart is having a 10 for $10 sale right now on select community fish. I got my rasboras there for $1 ea. They also had guppies on sale for $1 ea. I think the sale lasts for a while longer. Not sure if neon or cardinal tetras were included in this price.

Do you live near one? if so, you should check it out. :D

Just and FYI, petsmart is having a 10 for $10 sale right now on select community fish. I got my rasboras there for $1 ea. They also had guppies on sale for $1 ea. I think the sale lasts for a while longer. Not sure if neon or cardinal tetras were included in this price.

Do you live near one? if so, you should check it out. :D

Thanks for the heads up! I need a new siphon so I'll be going to Petsmart soon.

And btw, it's the neons that are on sale. We just got the last 40 we needed for our 115g.

Great, thanks! :)

<--- has 125 neon tetras and only 5 harleys, wrong person to ask ;)

WOW that's a LOT of neons! It must look sooooooo cool when they school!

BTW- Just realized the sale doesn't apply to me :( I'm only getting 7 Neons, not 10. Oh well!

Great, thanks! :)

WOW that's a LOT of neons! It must look sooooooo cool when they school!

BTW- Just realized the sale doesn't apply to me :( I'm only getting 7 Neons, not 10. Oh well!

You can buy any number of any of the fish on sale. I only bought 5 rasboras. :) They just have a select number of fish varieties on sale for $1 ea. The rest are normal price. There is no limit :) :) :)

Hahaha! You are awesome!!! I would love to see a video of them schooling when you get one. How big is the tank they are in? Must be so much fun to watch.

Right now the new 40 are in QT tanks, but they will be joining the rest in a 115g tank. I have a few pics up with the original 60 we had. We just took 25 out of a 4 week QT and added them this weekend. It's way cool watching them school.

Our harleys school with our black neons. I think I read somewhere that the black neons are actually in the rasbora family. Our glow-lights school by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom