Neons vs Cardinals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, this is what my stocking is like so far... I have a 55 g tank with the following in it

6 zebra danios
6 cory cats
2 female swordtails
4 male guppies.

I am planning on getting a clown pleco eventually, and finishing off with a Pearl Gourami. Now here is the question. The next fish I get I am going to add some tetras. I like the looks of the Cardinal tetra's better than the neons. Would it be safe to go with 6 cardinals instead of 6 neons, or are they too slow? Also, could I maybe like get a couple cardinals, and a few other smaller tetras, would they school together? Any suggestions? Just like the idea of having some diverse fish in there and some better stuff to look at, and the neons seem to zoom around pretty good, which I like, but I think I would prefer if there is some way to mix and match and still go with my basic stocking idea, because I think I have a good mixture of fish that go in the top, middle, and bottom of my tank. Thanks

I have had Neons and Cardinals in the same tank and they'll shoal together as if they were the same exact species. Overall, I agree with you in that I think the Cardinals are more pleasant to look at due to their superior vibrancy and color. Also, I'm not sure if this is totally accurate but I've heard from a few sources that Cardinals tend to be a little hardier than the Neons; although both are known to be sensitive fish regardless.

OK thanks for the replies. Still debating, I really don't want to get 10 of them because I want to have some room in my tank in case after awhile I decide there is some other kind of fish I want or if some pop some babies out or whatever. One of my new guppies died yesterday, the most colorful one I had, bright yellow like a bumblebee. I got home from work and he was stuck on the filter. I went and got a little blue one to replace him so I have even numbers at least.

Have you considered black neon? Same size as cardinals, and much more vibrant with the bright neon green and black stripes.

They'd likely be skittish, stressed and more prone to disease if not kept in schools.

KatieJ said:
They'd likely be skittish, stressed and more prone to disease if not kept in schools.

Agreed, always better to keep a full school than hoping they join another species...

Back
Top Bottom