Nerite snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megsmelody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a newer tank (1 month). 5 gallons, 3 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Black skirt Tetra and 1 Blue Dwarf Gourami. I have wanted to put in a snail, just for the heck of it. Would a Nerite snail be ok? My concern is that the fish might eat it (I've heard that can happen) or that the bio-load (which I guess means too many things living in the tank) would be too much......What do you think?

Thanks!

your tank is doomed to fail. the cardinals and black skirts need a 20 and schools of at least 6 each,and the DG needs a 10. put them all in a 20 and you could add the snail

doomed to fail? Really?

The stocking isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. People act like if you don't have perfect stocking plans that your tank is going to spontaneously combust.

If you want a nerite snail, get one. Those fish won't eat it and a single one won't contribute too much to bioload. Your current stocking plan could use some work or upgrading but it's not exactly a crisis.

I'm pretty sure a nerite would be fine;) you'll enjoy a snail. They're cool :))

What's wrong with what I have?

You just need a bigger tank for the fish you have in there. The Tetras are schooling fish and do better with larger numbers. Plus the fish you have need larger areas to swim and a 5 gal is much too small for them. Dwarf Gouramis also need a much bigger tank than a 5 gal.

If you can think about upgrading to a larger tank that would be a lot better for your fish. In the meantime, sure if you'd like a Nerite, get one (or two). I think the horned ones are cool! :D

doomed to fail? Really?

The stocking isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. People act like if you don't have perfect stocking plans that your tank is going to spontaneously combust.

If you want a nerite snail, get one. Those fish won't eat it and a single one won't contribute too much to bioload. Your current stocking plan could use some work or upgrading but it's not exactly a crisis.
ok,your right,saying it is doomed to fail was a little(lot)over the top.i apoligize,megsmelody

Also I just caught that the tank is a month old; has it fully cycled? Do you test the water frequently for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Take a look at the link in my signature (new tank with fish) and it'll give you some good info. :D

Back
Top Bottom