Nerite Zebra Snails....Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi.....My 20 gallon tank is around 4 month old...fully cycled planted and stable. I started to have light green algae in tank...i sourced the problem and resolved.
However....during my posts on here I was introduced to these fab snails....who have all but cleaned everything in the tank....awesome....BUT.....how do I keep them fed??? I have bought algae wafers....drop them in when the light goes off....but my fish scoff the lot before snails get to them....advice??

I have been blanching Zuccini strips once a week and leaving 1 in each tank for a few hours in each of my tanks for my nerites. They have loved them

Zucchini strips??? Whats that? Apologies for ignorance....UK aquarist here

Zucchini strips??? Whats that? Apologies for ignorance....UK aquarist here
Zucchini is a vegetable here in the US (not sure if you have them in the UK). Some people cut strips and some cut round pieces (some refer to them as medallions).

I have a couple of nerites in my tank and I've never fed them directly. I've tried veggies but the ramshorns and shrimp seem to like it more than the nerites, maybe I have weird ones. I've had them for over a year now and they've grown, so I assume they're happy grazing on biofilm and leftovers.

Mine seem happy....cleaned tank well...and seem to find where they not cleaned before.....just worries me they will run out of food.....

You would know Zucchini as Courgette. I just cut a strip, put it in the microwave for a few seconds, just enough to slightly soften it (not so soft is fall apart), then hang it on a veggie clip or lay it on the tank bottom with something to weight it down. Also put it in after your tank lights are on. Something else to remember is nerites eat bio-film that collects on everything in your tank so they can usually get alot of nourishment from that. But offering a veggies 1 or 2 times a weeks guarantee's they are getting enough food.

Back
Top Bottom