Netting Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am really bad a netting my fish. I end up chasing them repeatadly around the tank dusrupting other fish, plants etc. Hints? Helpful advice?

Slowly and carefully lower the net to the bottom of the tank. Hold it still for a few minutes and if your fish are nosy like mine, they will swim in it all by themselves.

Works like a charm and doesn't stress them out. :D

After a while they should get used to seeing the net and wont completely freak out when you put it in the tank.

Why do you need to net the fish? If you are draining the tank or something, then it's easiest to just leave a little water in there, and then try to net them.
My fish are curious like Tarkus', so they always come nosing around. My black loaches are a different story though, they have ADD and are VERY hard to catch LOL.

I haven't used a net in a very long time. I find it MUCH easier to just reach in and grab them with my hand. They come to my hand about 90% of the time, so there's much less stress that way. Plus, with a wet hand, you dont have to worry about the net getting all tangled in their fins causing even more stress.

I haven't used a net in a very long time. I find it MUCH easier to just reach in and grab them with my hand. They come to my hand about 90% of the time, so there's much less stress that way. Plus, with a wet hand, you dont have to worry about the net getting all tangled in their fins causing even more stress.

Oh, wow. I would be so scared to touch a fish! I would feel like I'm hurting them.

I started my tank with fish, and one needed to be removed to a QT then put back, I have since QT'd four guppies, and tonight I was trying to put a very prego Platy in a breeder. I dont net for tanks cleaning water changes etc. In fact I hardly do it at all which may be the trouble. :)

+1 to mfdrookie

My fish simply come up to my hand and I snatch them up. Netting can cause fins getting caught up, and every time you net them, the netting rubs off some of the slime coat on the fish

Use a blue or green coarse mesh net. White spooks the fish and fine mesh offers a lot of water resistance. Sneak up on the fish slowly and net quickly. It takes practice, especially with small, fast fish in a tank with a lot of cover.

That describes the color, but my nets are small. I was thinking about getting a bigger one, but my tank is only a 16gal bow front so I am not sure much bigger would work without tearing up the tank even more.

Back
Top Bottom