Never Ending Fish/Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sillygirl423 said:
You're doing fish in cycles? They can take longer than fishless because you have to keep the toxins down low enough not to hurt the fish. Also what kind of test kits are you using IMO/E the strips are very inaccurate, its best to go with the API master test kit. If you are showing nitrates your cycle is progressing. What do you have stocked in the tank?

I use API Kit. I have 1 tiny Panda Cory (planning to get more when tank ready) and 1 tiny German Blue Ram (plan to move it in a 75 gal an couple of months). I also use Prime for tap water during pwc.

MonsterfishGuy said:
If the cycle was'nt done in the pond and the temperature of the water was under 17C, that will not cycle at all!! Do PWC until water goes under 8C and there the fish start to hibenate.

For the tank, 1 month is not long for cycling if you dont add establish media in the filter or other bacteria sources!

For the one that is in the sixth week, howmany gal. Is the tank??

Tank is 10 gal

almcloud said:
I use API Kit. I have 1 tiny Panda Cory (planning to get more when tank ready) and 1 tiny German Blue Ram (plan to move it in a 75 gal an couple of months). I also use Prime for tap water during pwc.

As you have fish in, Eco23 is more that right so you have the information on what to do then!!

Its a fish in cycle!

kurtyboh said:
alright back to the op, you dont want to manually remove the ammonia from your tank during a cycle as you're removing the food from the beneficial bacteria. It does take some time, what did you use as an ammonia source? what did your nitrite go up to? is there still an ammonia source in there? what type of filter are you using? there has to be something for the bb to grow on, like filterfloss or ceramic media, in sw live rock. The substrate will harbor some, but you should have something else.

I am doing fish in cycle and didn't add any ammonia source . At first it measured 4.0 . Have a Penguin Bio Wheel filter that came with my Marineland 10 Gal kit. Have fake plants and black medium sized substrate. The Nitrite were at 3.0 2 weeks ago, now at 0.

eco23 said:
@ almcloud- Is the ammonia steadily climbing over .2, or can you just not get it lower than that? Have you seen nitrIte readings? How many and what type of fish are in the tank? If the ammonia is not climbing, its possible you are cycled and it's an issue with color shading or inaccuracy with the test kit. Strips are very inaccurate, and even with liquid kits it can be hard to differentiate between 0 and .25. If it is still climbing, I agree to continue doing the water changes to keep the toxins as low as possible until cycled (at or below .25ppm).

Here's a link for everyone-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

I use API Kit. I have 1 tiny Panda Cory (planning to get more when tank ready) and 1 tiny German Blue Ram (plan to move it in a 75 gal an couple of months). I also use Prime for tap water during pwc. Tested tap water for ammonia to make sure I test it correctly and it resulted 0.0
I am doing fish in cycle and didn't add any ammonia source . At first it measured 4.0 . Have a Penguin Bio Wheel filter that came with my Marineland 10 Gal kit. Have fake plants and black medium sized substrate. The Nitrite were at 3.0 two weeks ago, now at 0.

almcloud said:
I use API Kit. I have 1 tiny Panda Cory (planning to get more when tank ready) and 1 tiny German Blue Ram (plan to move it in a 75 gal an couple of months). I also use Prime for tap water during pwc. Tested tap water for ammonia to make sure I test it correctly and it resulted 0.0
I am doing fish in cycle and didn't add any ammonia source . At first it measured 4.0 . Have a Penguin Bio Wheel filter that came with my Marineland 10 Gal kit. Have fake plants and black medium sized substrate. The Nitrite were at 3.0 two weeks ago, now at 0.

I think you're cycled if the no2 has spiked and dropped on it's own, as long as the ammonia seems to be staying at .25 and not climbing. The API color shades are tricky, and even if it was at .25 it's really nothing to be concerned about.

Just remember to add fish very slowly in the future and give your bio-filter time to adjust, otherwise you'll be right back where you were :)

Hi sorry guys for the confusion, and joining my prob on to someone elses thread, I have a fluval Roma 125 litre 11 goldfish, my filter is fluval u4, last week I also put another small new filter in A interpet pf2, to try & speed things up, i am keeping the ammonia down to less than 1.0ppm then nextday high ammonia no nitrite, no nitrate
So WC agen, I'm up the wall, & my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts with all these water changes ha she really thinks I've lost the plot ha,
My problem is I jumped straight in like most newbies tank, fish, I'm best getting shut somehow & take my fish down maybe half, but dnt no anybody, I have a big spare new pond out the ground tho, 1250 litres I can fill up use but not sure, if I start filling that ha my girlfriend will be off ha but if Its best move I will
Thx f reply guys

robbeno said:
Hi sorry guys for the confusion, and joining my prob on to someone elses thread, I have a fluval Roma 125 litre 11 goldfish, my filter is fluval u4, last week I also put another small new filter in A interpet pf2, to try & speed things up, i am keeping the ammonia down to less than 1.0ppm then nextday high ammonia no nitrite, no nitrate
So WC agen, I'm up the wall, & my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts with all these water changes ha she really thinks I've lost the plot ha,
My problem is I jumped straight in like most newbies tank, fish, I'm best getting shut somehow & take my fish down maybe half, but dnt no anybody, I have a big spare new pond out the ground tho, 1250 litres I can fill up use but not sure, if I start filling that ha my girlfriend will be off ha but if Its best move I will
Thx f reply guys

Sorry we couldn't really be of more help. My liters to gallons conversion isn't good...but that's like 27 US gallons? If so, 11 Goldfish in there is madness. Most Goldfish require 20 gallons for the first fish and an additional 10 gallons per fish...so that's 120 US gallons needed in this case!!! Removing lots of the fish is a must-do in this situation.

Unfortunately the only real options for dealing with a fish-in cycle which is out of control are-
- Remove / re-home the amount if fish. Less fish = less toxins = easier cycling
- Get established media from another tank. You'll be bringing over beneficial bacteria to help control the toxins
- Wait it out and keep doing pwc's until things are stable (not really an option here)

I'd move all the fish except for 2, do some big water changes to get everything back to 0, cut way back on feeding, and go from there. That's one of the only ways you'll ever stay on top of water quality without doing constant water changes.

Even still, though, if they are common goldfish they'll need to be moved to a much larger tank eventually.

Thanks guys I will take all fish out except for 2 & put them in a 1250 litre pond I have outside, only problem is here now it's cold out, so I'm taking fish from a warm tank not heated but very warm, into water wich will be in 10c- 50f, I can't see this being gd f fish or am I wrong and how long will they last in there without filtration?

Shall I clean everything out the tank, filters and start from scratch with 1 filter u4 cleaned, and restart with chlorinated clean water all over, or just leave 2 fish in will be ok, thanks guys,
god my girl is gonna runaway tomorow when I start filling this pond in the winds & rain haha.

kurtyboh said:
Also test your tap water, some localities dont have the best water supplies, its quite uncommon for ammo to be there but not unheard of

Yes I did test tap water, zero on all with api test kit

eco23 said:
Sorry we couldn't really be of more help. My liters to gallons conversion isn't good...but that's like 27 US gallons? If so, 11 Goldfish in there is madness. Most Goldfish require 20 gallons for the first fish and an additional 10 gallons per fish...so that's 120 US gallons needed in this case!!! Removing lots of the fish is a must-do in this situation.

Unfortunately the only real options for dealing with a fish-in cycle which is out of control are-
- Remove / re-home the amount if fish. Less fish = less toxins = easier cycling
- Get established media from another tank. You'll be bringing over beneficial bacteria to help control the toxins
- Wait it out and keep doing pwc's until things are stable (not really an option here)

Thanks guys I will take all fish out except for 2 & put them in a 1250 litre pond I have outside, only problem is here now in uk it's cold out, so I'm taking fish from a warm tank not heated but very warm, into water wich will be in 10c- 50f, I can't see this being gd f fish or am I wrong and how long will they last in there without filtration?
I can put pond pump in to circulate and get oxygen going, or use fluval u4 but I think that's too small of bio filter for such big pond, will they survive outside as hibernation is around about now without no filter just oxygen ?

robbeno said:
Thanks guys I will take all fish out except for 2 & put them in a 1250 litre pond I have outside, only problem is here now in uk it's cold out, so I'm taking fish from a warm tank not heated but very warm, into water wich will be in 10c- 50f, I can't see this being gd f fish or am I wrong and how long will they last in there without filtration?
I can put pond pump in to circulate and get oxygen going, or use fluval u4 but I think that's too small of bio filter for such big pond, will they survive outside as hibernation is around about now without no filter just oxygen ?

The only thing I know about ponds is that they're outside and have water in them :D. I'd start a new thread about acclimating fish from an indoor tank to a colder outdoor pond and what the safest technique would be. I agree you don't want to just toss them in and temperature shock them.

eco23 said:
The only thing I know about ponds is that they're outside and have water in them :D. I'd start a new thread about acclimating fish from an indoor tank to a colder outdoor pond and what the safest technique would be. I agree you don't want to just toss them in and temperature shock them.

Cheers bud, still trying to figure out how to use this forum not sure how to stRt a new thread, I'm on iPhone so I'm not sure I can, il figure it out
Thx bud

robbeno said:
Cheers bud, still trying to figure out how to use this forum not sure how to stRt a new thread, I'm on iPhone so I'm not sure I can, il figure it out
Thx bud

On the iphone, go to the forum you want to start the thread in (ex. General Discussion, Ponds and Amphibians, etc...), click on the button which looks like a box with an arrow, and hit "start new thread". Then you can title it and ask the question. Good luck :)

eco23 said:
On the iphone, go to the forum you want to start the thread in (ex. General Discussion, Ponds and Amphibians, etc...), click on the button which looks like a box with an arrow, and hit "start new thread". Then you can title it and ask the question. Good luck :)
thx m8y

Back
Top Bottom