New 10 gal beta tank (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redcow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I have decided to get back into the aquarium keeping hobby after a few years of craziness.

I'm going to start small, I have a 10 gallon that I'm going to water test here soon. (If it doesn't hold up I'm still going to work with a 10 gal, I'll just have to get one)

I am planning on having it heavily planted, and with a beta fish.

Now it has been a few years, but betas like low flow? What type of filter would the pros recommend for this?

What else, stock wise, can be in a 10 gallon with a beta? I do plan on setting the plants up so that there are toms of hiding spots, so they can all get away from each other if needed.
Not talking a community tank, but bottom dwellers, snails, ext?

I am also looking at low light plants to keep in it, what are some options that you guys like? I like reds and mosses.

I currently have PFS in the tank, left over from a few years ago when I had it set up for cherry shrimp.

Any and all suggestions and advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 2 betta tanks and both have an AC20. I have both AC20 turned to the lowest setting and the bettas do well with them. You could also go the sponge filter route which barely causes any water disturbance. I choose the AC20 because my bettas kept trying to eat the bubbles from the sponge filter.

Honestly, stocking depends on the personality of the betta. Many bettas are too aggressive to be kept with others. In my 10g I have a betta, a dwarf frog, and trumpet snails. Snails can be hit or miss with the betta. My one betta tries to eat the snails if she sees them and can fit them in her mouth.

Low light plant options would be anubias, crypts, swords, almost any moss (I believe there are a few that are more demanding), and moss balls. There are a bunch more but those tend to be the most popular. If you choose swords or crypts they will need root tabs to grow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply!

Are Lilly's hard to keep with other low light equipment? And what kind of supplements would they need?

I really do like swords and crypts, they have a classic look to them, thanks!

Not sure about lilies. That info would have to come from someone who has experience with them. A lily might get too large for a 10g from what I've read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452973828.425225.jpgHere's a pic of dwarf red lily in a 5.5 shrimp tank that gets no ferts, low light.

Those look very happy! Did you order them offline, or get them from a lfs?

Anyone have recommendations of websites or sellers for plants?

Thanks for helping guys, I'm getting really excited for this :)

I got the sprouted bulb from planted aquaria central online. Those in that tank were taken off the bulb once they had roots and planted. Also got a java fern from there that's currently dropping babies like it's trying to populate the world. No snails or algae on anything.

I have never kept bettas but here's some fish that might work for your tank:

Pygmy or dwarf cories
Harlequin rasboras
Small, peaceful tetras

Good luck!

Sent from my E2303 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This was my 10g Betta tank.
Lots of Crypts and other plants
c528afa7466f36f18ca8b5704c25f7ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very pretty! Happy looking beta

Very pretty! Happy looking beta

Thank you, he ruled it like the King he was. I got him out of a Petsmart jar the day he came in.

Tank : rimless 10g
Light : Archaea clip on LED
Substrate: Tahitian Moon Sand over Black Diamond Blasting Sand

Root caps buried all over.
Liquid ferts weekly or 2x a week

Plants were almost all from my club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom