New 10 Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i bought a 10 gallon tank that came with the tank, lid with light, and filter. It didnt come with the water heater so i bought it myself. I have 3 tiger sharbs, 1 bala shark, and a sucker fish in the tank. I bought everything u need to make the water good for the fish i measured it and everything. I have the protein flakes for them that i give in the morning and frozen cubed blood worms/shrimp that i give in the afternoon. I found out that balas need a bigger tank as well as the sharbs but i cant offord another tank so imma have to leave them here for now till i get one. I put these little river rocks for the bottom, fake plants, a moss ball, a cave and a bamboo plant. The bala shark seems to always hide in the cave and the sharbs are always swimming around. Again i know i need a bigger tank and i will move them as soon as i get one. Am i doing anything wrong? Anything right? Advice please. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387849822.718184.jpg

Looks great! Just make sure that your ammonia doesn't get to high. I did my cycle with fish and i lost three, make sure they are hardy fish. I also had a bala shark but it died. :(

All of those fish need much bigger tanks and tiger barbs are schooling fish that need to be in groups if 6 or more or else the most dominant will pick off the others one by one. You should ask the pet store if you can return them, or give them to someone with a 30+ gallon tank. There are lots of options for small fish to go in a 10g tank that many of us on the forum would be happy to help you with:) but first, you will need to learn about the cycling process. These articles are a good place to start:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

Yeah i would give them to someone but im the only one thats into fish. I dont know anyone else that has a tank and i will test my amonia level and try to make it right. Thank u.

An ammonia spike is inevitable. It will happen. Your filter media needs to grow beneficial bacteria that will turn fish waste into a non-toxic form, and before that happens, the fish waste will turn into ammonia which is highly toxic to fish. The articles I posted explain this process.

You need to take all of the fish back none of them are suitable for your tank.

Here is honestly what's going to happen, every single one will die you don't have to take my advice just know they are going to die.

If somehow they live for a while an ammonia spike will happen and they will die that way.

First off Bala sharks get 14 inches long and are extremely active. They need a minimum of a 6 foot 125 gallon a 8 foot 200 gallon is better though.

The sucker fish is I can guarantee a common pleco. They get 16-20 inches long and need a 125 gallon tank minimum.

The tiger barbs need IMO a 20 gallon long 30 inch tank and can be extremely aggressive.

Btw just going to say since your a beginner if someone has told you that fish only grow to their tank size it's not true. They become stunted but their organs don't stop growing and they will die just thought you should know.

Thank u and yeah the lady at the pet store said it was fine but i guess not -_-

Well she was definitely wrong I would take her fish back immediately,

Oh. I have a question. When the instructions say to put the lip of the filter above the water. Does it mean below the slats or above them?

Back
Top Bottom