New 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loach dude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am getting a new 10 gallon tank and am thinking about dwarf puffer fish what all should I get :)

I am also thinking about putting live plants in there will they b good with the dp's :)

K do u know what types of plants b good and easy to care for :)

Thank u

Make sure you choose a good quality filtration system. I read that DPs are pretty dirty and have high bioloads. Also they area pretty sensitive so make sure your tank is cycled prior to adding them.

Some low light plants that are easy are Java Fern, Crypts, Anubias, and Swords. I recommend getting some root tabs and a good liquid fert for a new aquarium if your substrate isn't formulated for plants (ie gravel or sand). Swords are root feeders so they'll benefit from the tabs.

Keep it simple with some java fern and anubias? Minimal mess because these plants grow slow and they attach to decor, so i can gravel vac freely into the sand without uprooting the plants. No co2 or strong lighting or ferts needed. Easy.

Ya my mom has a friend who's getting out of the hobby and I'm buying her tank and gravel and decor and filter for 25 dollars :)

Are you sure it is freshwater? I would think the flounders would be picked on by the DP.

I'm planning on dwarf puffers too and all the articles suggest a species only tank for them. But some have had success with DPs, Ottos, and BB Gobies if you wanted to add other tankmates.

Are bumblebee gobies brackish water ? I was going to get them for my f8s.

Yup they are BW fish. Same salinity as F8s. Both are known to live a longer life in BW if kept in captivity. In the wild, they mostly roam around FW.

There are a few rare real FW gobies though.

Are bumblebee gobies brackish water ? I was going to get them for my f8s.

FYI....There are two very similar looking Bumblebee Gobies (BBG) found in the aquarium trade. One is straight up brackish where the other one can be either BW or FW. It's sort of hard to distiguish the two but Hypogymnogobius Xanthozona is a less commonly seen BBG that can live in FW or BW. Brachygobius Doriae has black bands that do not join on the belly giving a gold line along the belly, this BBG is BW. Whereas H. Xanthozona has full black stripes that meet at the belly. I have the H. Xanthozona type and he's been living for a year now in FW and he's still vibrant in colors and quite energetic swimming around the tank. The tricky part is feeding him because he'll only eat bloodworms. I have to actually target feed him with a turkey baster...LOL

Here's some pics:
6194713030_f48c0a8255_z.jpg

Bumblebee Goby on the glass:
6194195913_f18131a03c.jpg

Really ! I didnt know that  I learn something new here every day . Thank u . I will keep my eyes open 4 them .

Back
Top Bottom