New 10 Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manic Fury

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought this new tank (pictures related). Going to fill it up and let it sit overnight while the filter is running to ensure that it works.

This is what I have and the accessories that I have with it:

-Tetra 10 gallon tank w/hood and light
-Tetra EX 45 Power Filter (I decided to get the big one because I can use this one in my 30 gallon. Plus, there's no such thing as too much filter! )
-A few decorations
-Melafix
-Medium sized airstone

My question is: Do the decorations look safe? Should I be okay with not using gravel during the process?

Otherwise, if everything looks fine, let me know what you think of the set-up! I went for an asian theme. :)

Attachments

• 13 - 3.jpg
    13 - 3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 13 - 4.jpg
    13 - 4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 13 - 5.jpg
    13 - 5.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 13 - 6.jpg
    13 - 6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 63
Hey if you are just putting water in it and running it over night it should be fine with no gavel are you doing a fish or fishless cycle . When you go to cycle the tank then you will need gravel are you using fake or live plants.

Hey if you are just putting water in it and running it over night it should be fine with no gavel are you doing a fish or fishless cycle . When you go to cycle the tank then you will need gravel are you using fake or live plants.

I'm doing a fish-in cycle. Do I need the gravel right away, or can I get it at a later time? I'm not using any plants right now. Trying to keep it basic in the beginning. I may go for live plants in the future but that's a whole different subject.

I would put gravel in soon it helps with the beneficial bacteria build up ie you feed you fish they poo that turns to ammonia then nitrite then to nitrate your filter hold most of your BB but IMO some is also in your substrate what water c I conditioner are you using IMO prime is the best product on the market also do you know someone who has a cycled tank that could give you some BB and do you have a test kit sorry for all the questions

I would put gravel in soon it helps with the beneficial bacteria build up ie you feed you fish they poo that turns to ammonia then nitrite then to nitrate your filter hold most of your BB but IMO some is also in your substrate what water c I conditioner are you using IMO prime is the best product on the market also do you know someone who has a cycled tank that could give you some BB and do you have a test kit sorry for all the questions

All of your questions are good!

I'm using just a simple water conditioner right now, but I actually order Prime the other day and it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I have a 3 gallon tank right now with a little filter in it. I can use that for a seeding material. I do have a test kit and have been testing my water consistently.

I actually started a new thread that has a lot more information. It's on this section, here's the link:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fish-in-cycling-help-284784.html

Sorry for the multiple threads. If you would move to that thread and help with my fish-in cycle, that would be great! I'm going to be doing a day-to-day progress report during the process.

I'll delete this thread in about a day or two so it's not crowding the thread board.

Thank you!

All of your questions are good! I'm using just a simple water conditioner right now, but I actually order Prime the other day and it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I have a 3 gallon tank right now with a little filter in it. I can use that for a seeding material. I do have a test kit and have been testing my water consistently. I actually started a new thread that has a lot more information. It's on this section, here's the link: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fish-in-cycling-help-284784.html Sorry for the multiple threads. If you would move to that thread and help with my fish-in cycle, that would be great! I'm going to be doing a day-to-day progress report during the process. I'll delete this thread in about a day or two so it's not crowding the thread board. Thank you!

You could run that new filter in with the established tank for a few days to get the bacteria. When you move it to the new set up, you can put in some gravel from the established tank as well.

i would run them both for a week or two and add and plants or other decor from the 3 to the ten. i would also test for ammo every other day at least all though it will take awhile with just one fish how big is he ?

You could run that new filter in with the established tank for a few days to get the bacteria. When you move it to the new set up, you can put in some gravel from the established tank as well.

I've been running the 10 gallon filter since I got the tank about a month ago. I haven't changed the filter cartridge so it should be full of bacteria.

i would run them both for a week or two and add and plants or other decor from the 3 to the ten. i would also test for ammo every other day at least all though it will take awhile with just one fish how big is he ?

Instead of running both filters, could I just take the media out of the old filter and put it inside of my new filter with the new media going?

He's about 2 1/2 inches from mouth the tip of tail

Could everyone that is helping me in this thread move to my other thread that I started yesterday? I'm going to be posting in that thread on a day to day basis throughout my cycling process.

You guys are helping me a lot with very useful information. I want to close this thread so I don't have 2 threads going at once on the 1st page of the Getting Started section.

Here's the link:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fish-in-cycling-help-284784.html

Back
Top Bottom