New 10 gallon betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emclenaghan

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I started this tank for my daughter. It looks to be cycled, all my levels are holding steady and the ammonia is down to almost nothing. We got a Betta, 2 neon tetras and 4 glofish. Well,24 hours later and 2 of the glofish plus both the neons have met their maker. Everyone else seems healthy, all my levels are safe, I tested like 4 times in the past 2 days. I am done worrying and chalk it up to stressed crappy pet store fish.

We take the dead back to the crappy chain store and I get grilled by the fish area guy, he wants to know the size of my tank and various other non-issues. When I try to explain how my tank cycled he looks perplexed, I laugh at him inside my head. He continues acting like he knows what he is talking about and says that I should bring them a water sample. He then pulls out a bottle of test strips and says this is what we use to test the water if you would like to take a look. I say that I use the API Master Kit, the liquid one. He looks at me like, yeah I bet that kit is a waste of money.

It just continues to kill me that pet stores have little to no knowledge about what they sell. I may as well have gone to Walmart. And while I applaud his effort to try to make sure I was doing what I should on my end, he still didn't know s*** about what he was talking about. I saw him turn around and sell a guy with a little tank 2 clown loaches to go with his 4 glofish. The sign on the tank said the loaches only get up to 8 inches long, I think the guy buying them had no clue that they get bigger than their current size of 1/2 inch. I left shaking my head.

I should say that I was impressed that the guy knew about pH at least, when I told him that's the only thing that tests high in my tank he shook it off and said that didn't matter, good call, I gotta give him a little credit...

Back
Top Bottom