New 10 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that's sad, i really enjoy my pleco. i will take him to petco and hopefully they will understand. they knew i was unhappy today when they sold all these fish to my husband knowing we only had a 10 gallon.

that's sad, i really enjoy my pleco. i will take him to petco and hopefully they will understand. they knew i was unhappy today when they sold all these fish to my husband knowing we only had a 10 gallon.

From here on out.. Do your research on any fish you would like to have in the future, be sure you know it's tank requirements as an adult; as said before house it in a tank that it will be ok in as an adult.

There are plecos that don't get very big. I would think that a bushy nose pleco would work in your new tank.

I would still recommend you have something bigger than a 10g even with a bristlenose. I would still think quite a bit of toxins would still build up. Even since a bristlenose is smaller they still have a pretty big bioload.

thank you everyone for giving me some great advice! i will definitely come here for information on fish.

and yes, i love how petco will sell me whatever they can to just get me out the door...because when my fish die i have to go get more, so they don't care. it's very sad...

The 26 is still to small for the blood parrot also. When you go to petco you need to speak with the aquatics expert. They spend 40 hours a week strictly in the fish department and should definitely know how big each fish gets and what is suitable for a 10 gallon. If the person who told you that 2 cichlids would be fine is somehow the aquatics person then you need to let the manager know. There is no money to be made when someone returns dead fish.

The 26 is still to small for the blood parrot also. When you go to petco you need to speak with the aquatics expert. They spend 40 hours a week strictly in the fish department and should definitely know how big each fish gets and what is suitable for a 10 gallon. If the person who told you that 2 cichlids would be fine is somehow the aquatics person then you need to let the manager know. There is no money to be made when someone returns dead fish.

Even those who claim to be 'experts' oftentimes are really not. Many people have been given advice from an 'expert' and it wasn't good advice.

Even those who claim to be 'experts' oftentimes are really not. Many people have been given advice from an 'expert' and it wasn't good advice.

Yes that is true in many instances of life. Aquatics expert is just the title Petco gives to the person who is tasked with the full time maintenance of the aquatics department. That person is required to have a certain degree of knowledge which would include knowing the sizes of fish and their proper habitats. If this is not the case then that person has no business taking care of all the tanks everyday.

Yes, rehomeing those fish would be best to do. That way you can properly cycle your tank, and then get fish that can live a long and happy life in it :)

PM me so I can help you some more if you want

Yes that is true in many instances of life. Aquatics expert is just the title Petco gives to the person who is tasked with the full time maintenance of the aquatics department. That person is required to have a certain degree of knowledge which would include knowing the sizes of fish and their proper habitats. If this is not the case then that person has no business taking care of all the tanks everyday.

But unfortunately this is the case way to many times. I don't know if anyone has read the thread 'funniest things you've overheard in LFS' in the off topic forum, but I remember someone posting on it that he asked for a pleco and went to look at other fish while the girl bagged the pleco, he turned around and the girl was bagging a Molly. He told her that wasnt a pleco and her reply was 'i dont know what it is'.

all fish are still alive; i was expecting them to all drop today honestly. the cichlid is still eating and active and so is the little neon. the pleco and guppies are on and off. tonight i am setting up the new tank. hoping the cichlid makes it til then!

all fish are still alive; i was expecting them to all drop today honestly. the cichlid is still eating and active and so is the little neon. the pleco and guppies are on and off. tonight i am setting up the new tank. hoping the cichlid makes it til then!

What size tank did you get? Make sure you cycle the tank also ;)

i just tested my water and surprisingly the levels were all in a setting of "ideal" or "acceptable". i still did a bit of a water change.. mostly just to get some floating dirt out.

i am not sure how to read the ammonia on this tester. it doesn't really mention it on the back lol.

Back
Top Bottom