Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New 10 gallon tank - Betta and Pleco not getting along?

Hello.

I am a college student and this is my first time owning fish. I originally made the mistake of getting 10 fish in a 3 gallon aquarium and 9 died. I had mainly neon tetras but also 2 barbs and a pleco. The pleco was the only one to survive. Well, I kept him in that tank for a week and decided to return it (bought it from walmart and they take anything to be returned as long as you have the receipt).

Before I returned it though I went to Petsmart and got some advice from the employee in the fish department. I really don't like them after what happened to my dog in their grooming place but alas I needed real advice since I couldn't rely on my parents as they aren't "experts" though neither is Petsmart but they are as close as I decided to get.

ANYWAY, I set up my tank yesterday after letting it filter for 24 hours and Joe, my Pleco, seemed like it was dying in the water I had him in temporarily so I put him in and he "came back to life". He was pale in the temp water but his color came back after 2 minutes in my new tank.

I then added Jill, my betta, to the tank. At first everything was great. Then all of a sudden she got too close to Joe and attacked him and this being my first betta, I freaked out. Then I read that as long as your Pleco doesn't seem injured it is fine.

I haven't **seen them fight since but I noticed a whole in one of his fins and another fin on the other side wasn't all stretched out like the rest were when he was sucking on the wall.
I wanted to make sure he could swim so I lightly piked him with the net. He can swim, and fast but he has been hiding ever since. It has been at least 5 minutes now.
He has never hid from me before though he never could before.

should I be worried or return my betta to prevent her from killing my other fish? I have 13 more days on the return policy for Jill.
I'm attached to her so I don't want to but at the same time, I don't want to keep her if she is harming another fish. I could get guppies instead.

advice?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

A Pleco cannot live in a 10 gallon. They actually need 50 gallons minimum because they get to about 24 inches. I would sell/give away the Pleco.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon.goby View Post
A Pleco cannot live in a 10 gallon. They actually need 50 gallons minimum because they get to about 24 inches. I would sell/give away the Pleco.

this is the breed that only gets to be about 5-6 inches long. I made sure with the Petsmart rep.

Plus that doesn't help me with my current situation. Even if I were to sell it or give it away id still need to keep it ALIVE until I do... nowhere in your answer was there a reply about whether I should be worried about that. You just ignored the whole post. Thank you for being inconsiderate.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay I see you are very attached to Joe. For his best interests, Joe needs at least a twenty if a bristle nose or bulldog Pleco. If he is a common, or hi fin spotted as petsmart calls them, he will get huge and need a corresponding tank. Do you have the receipt from Joe? Post a pic of it where it says what type he is.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
Okay I see you are very attached to Joe. For his best interests, Joe needs at least a twenty if a bristle nose or bulldog Pleco. If he is a common, or hi fin spotted as petsmart calls them, he will get huge and need a corresponding tank. Do you have the receipt from Joe? Post a pic of it where it says what type he is.

just says large pleco. got him from walmart with my original fish... here is the pic anyway.

what should I do with him for now? i cant have a 20 gallon tank yet as i am in a dorm but I can have one when i move to an apt in may as I was going to take my parent's 20 gallon tank and stand anyway. I'll just sell this tank when that time comes. Anyway.. what should I do for now? Should I be worried about his fins and him and Jill being together?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412996695066.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	252476  
Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

i also thought attaching my current setup may help so here are two pictures from 2 different angles...

I also took a picture of Joe. His fin that was in under his body was the lower left one and the one that has the whole is the upper right. Though you can't see it in these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412997558712.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	252478   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412997589251.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	252479  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412997914929.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	252480   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412998005395.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	252481  

Old 10-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, you have a common Pleco in Joe. Common plecos in a ten gallon end up looking like this if they don't die from ammonia poisoning as they are extremely messy fish.

Tags
10 gallon, betta, gallon, long, plec, pleco, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com