New 10 gallon tank - Betta and Pleco not getting along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxDriftingAway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

I am a college student and this is my first time owning fish. I originally made the mistake of getting 10 fish in a 3 gallon aquarium and 9 died. I had mainly neon tetras but also 2 barbs and a pleco. The pleco was the only one to survive. Well, I kept him in that tank for a week and decided to return it (bought it from walmart and they take anything to be returned as long as you have the receipt).

Before I returned it though I went to Petsmart and got some advice from the employee in the fish department. I really don't like them after what happened to my dog in their grooming place but alas I needed real advice since I couldn't rely on my parents as they aren't "experts" though neither is Petsmart but they are as close as I decided to get.

ANYWAY, I set up my tank yesterday after letting it filter for 24 hours and Joe, my Pleco, seemed like it was dying in the water I had him in temporarily so I put him in and he "came back to life". He was pale in the temp water but his color came back after 2 minutes in my new tank.

I then added Jill, my betta, to the tank. At first everything was great. Then all of a sudden she got too close to Joe and attacked him and this being my first betta, I freaked out. Then I read that as long as your Pleco doesn't seem injured it is fine.

I haven't **seen them fight since but I noticed a whole in one of his fins and another fin on the other side wasn't all stretched out like the rest were when he was sucking on the wall.
I wanted to make sure he could swim so I lightly piked him with the net. He can swim, and fast but he has been hiding ever since. It has been at least 5 minutes now.
He has never hid from me before though he never could before.

should I be worried or return my betta to prevent her from killing my other fish? I have 13 more days on the return policy for Jill.
I'm attached to her so I don't want to but at the same time, I don't want to keep her if she is harming another fish. I could get guppies instead.

advice?

A Pleco cannot live in a 10 gallon. They actually need 50 gallons minimum because they get to about 24 inches. I would sell/give away the Pleco.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A Pleco cannot live in a 10 gallon. They actually need 50 gallons minimum because they get to about 24 inches. I would sell/give away the Pleco.

this is the breed that only gets to be about 5-6 inches long. I made sure with the Petsmart rep.

Plus that doesn't help me with my current situation. Even if I were to sell it or give it away id still need to keep it ALIVE until I do... nowhere in your answer was there a reply about whether I should be worried about that. You just ignored the whole post. Thank you for being inconsiderate. [emoji4]

Okay I see you are very attached to Joe. For his best interests, Joe needs at least a twenty if a bristle nose or bulldog Pleco. If he is a common, or hi fin spotted as petsmart calls them, he will get huge and need a corresponding tank. Do you have the receipt from Joe? Post a pic of it where it says what type he is.

Okay I see you are very attached to Joe. For his best interests, Joe needs at least a twenty if a bristle nose or bulldog Pleco. If he is a common, or hi fin spotted as petsmart calls them, he will get huge and need a corresponding tank. Do you have the receipt from Joe? Post a pic of it where it says what type he is.

just says large pleco. got him from walmart with my original fish... here is the pic anyway.

what should I do with him for now? i cant have a 20 gallon tank yet as i am in a dorm but I can have one when i move to an apt in may as I was going to take my parent's 20 gallon tank and stand anyway. I'll just sell this tank when that time comes. Anyway.. what should I do for now? Should I be worried about his fins and him and Jill being together?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412996695066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412996695066.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 100
i also thought attaching my current setup may help so here are two pictures from 2 different angles...

I also took a picture of Joe. His fin that was in under his body was the lower left one and the one that has the whole is the upper right. Though you can't see it in these pictures.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412997558712.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412997558712.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412997589251.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412997589251.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 107
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412997914929.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412997914929.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412998005395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412998005395.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 110
Unfortunately, you have a common Pleco in Joe. Common plecos in a ten gallon end up looking like this if they don't die from ammonia poisoning as they are extremely messy fish.

Common plecos like Joe require a tank bordering on the hundred fifty gallon mark and depending on dimensions that quite possibly is too small. He will get two feet long so the tank dimensions should be around 5 feet long by 3 feet wide, any height. If your parents or any friends have a fish pond, ask if Joe can live there. He will reach his full potential! I know you are a good person and want the best for Joe. He may be okay for about six months in a ten but even that is a bit much. Please take this advice so you can enjoy Joe for a long time to come!

Back
Top Bottom