New 10G for ADF ... tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
So 10G very aggressive planted fishless cycle almost complete. expecting massive diatomic bloom soon.
Tank designated for ADF. I travel from time to time and cannot have a complicated feeding ritual as may be found in some community tanks in which ADF are present.
Nerites are nerites. what about corys or otos? cherry barbs perhaps? ????
Ideas on tankmates that will help with clean up and not put the ADFs at risk of starvation during a general feeding????

thanks.

I have a planted 10 gal. with 4 ADFs, 2 corys, 4 kuhli loaches, and 1 male betta.

I have to watch the betta. At the beginning, I only had him and one ADF in the tank - he picked on him constantly.

I moved him to another tank, temporarily, and slowly added the rest to the tank. After they all got used to each other, I added the betta back in. He has been great since.

One thing about the kuhli loaches...or any loach like it, make sure they are big enough (i.e. not babies) so the frogs don't think they are a snack!!

Oh, as far as feeding goes...

I feed 1 cube of blood worms (thawed) every other night. I also drop in 2-3 sinking pellets a day.

The betta gets fat with the frogs...and somewhat the corys - on the blood worms - and the sinking pellets are just in case the corys got shuffled out of the feeding bowl. Which happens alot! :)

I am replacing my Penguin 100 today with a Fluval AquaClear 30. The Penguin could not keep up with the messy ADFs! :)

And PattyCakes: African Dwarf Frog. Don't apologize for asking a question! We all had to learn sometime! :fish2:

Valina

I am replacing my Penguin 100 today with a Fluval AquaClear 30. The Penguin could not keep up with the messy ADFs! :)

And PattyCakes: African Dwarf Frog. Don't apologize for asking a question! We all had to learn sometime! :fish2:

Valina
oh I was wondering because I have the same penguin and even stocking to 40% seems to indicate that the filtration will be inadequate. I'll look up the fluval you're trying. I'm just worried about the vibration issue. Please let me know how your little guys are responding.

...and sorry everyone, I stupidly didn't identify species properly. :ermm:

You may find it as just "AquaClear" - but Fluval and AquaClear are owned by the same company - Hagan (sp?) - I think they are trying to consolidate some labels.

I will let you know how it does...I am mostly concerned with the outflow current. I have a sand substrate - easier on the frogs landings when they go for air - and may have to baffle the current a little to keep it from digging out the sand at the front of the tank. Also the betta may get pushed around a lil too much - even tho mine seems to like playing in the current of the Penguin.

I should be able to let you know something tomorrow evening. I had to do an emergency repair on my house heating system :banghead: so I won't be able to get the AquaClear hooked up til tomorrow.

Valina

I would get a male betta, they are cool and considered one of the best tank mates for adf. Sometimes you can get tablets that gradually feed fish and last days, I'd give the frogs blood worms

You may find it as just "AquaClear" - but Fluval and AquaClear are owned by the same company - Hagan (sp?) - I think they are trying to consolidate some labels.

I will let you know how it does...I am mostly concerned with the outflow current. I have a sand substrate - easier on the frogs landings when they go for air - and may have to baffle the current a little to keep it from digging out the sand at the front of the tank. Also the betta may get pushed around a lil too much - even tho mine seems to like playing in the current of the Penguin.

I should be able to let you know something tomorrow evening. I had to do an emergency repair on my house heating system :banghead: so I won't be able to get the AquaClear hooked up til tomorrow.

Valina
Owning a house is alot like owning a tank; a neverending project. I hope your fixes were not too extreme. Hope you've regained heat.
Really happy to talk to someone with a similar set up. Although the betta aspect is surprising and ambitious. Looking into it more.
Right now I am moving some Otos from my other tank into ADF tank. I've got an L340 coming in their place. :cool:
My revised plan was Otos, 4 ADF, and a few livebearers.
A beta would be cool though. I have to remember that feeding has to be easy as I do travel from time to time. I can't expect my "sitter" to assume any extreme responsibilities.
got any pics?
:thanks:

Still (very much) a work in progress...

Since this picture was taken, I have rearranged the Vallisneria Spiralis and cleaned the front glass of water spots! :lol:

My biggest "hate" of the tank is the log on the left side. But the Kuhli's love it and I have not had time to find something to replace it.

Once I get the new filter in, I will have time to fine tune it.

As far as the Betta goes, if you add one, add it last - so it doesn't think it is the "boss" of the tank. It should be fine.

Another suggestion - Leave the corners and sides of the tank clear so the frogs can easily get air.

Valina

Attachments

• 10gal.jpg
    10gal.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 56
Just so ya know that I can set up a nice tank (still not happy with the ADF tank) - here is a pic of my 26 gal. I am somewhat finished with it....:whistle:

Attachments

• 26gal.jpg
    26gal.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
"I've got an L340 coming in their place."

What a beautiful fish! I have to admit, I looked it up! :whistle: If it truly only grows to 3 1/2 inches, I may have to consider that for my other tank.

So, I hooked up the AC 30 a few hours ago...am floating the biowheel from the Penguin.

Tank is clearer than it has been in weeks! The current is deflected nicely. My sand at the front has not moved at all and, best of all, the Betta is loving it.

Just to test the surface current, I dropped in a few flakes to see....No comparison to the P100. Amazing, it has more GPH, but the current is reasonable. It must be the output shape/deflection.

No noise, no vibration. All of my babies ( :oops: ) are out and about checking out the new waterflow!

Overall, I DEFINITELY recommend this filter for a 10 gal. - especially with ADFs and a betta!

:dance:

Valina

Back
Top Bottom