New 125g tank - Need advice for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading postings on this site for some time and just now became a member since we purchased a 125 gallon tank last night! The only experience I have so far is with a 10 gallon tank with puffers and goldfish (not together of course) and a 22 gallon red ear slider tank so I would say I'm still new to this.

This is what we got:

125 gallon glass tank
Fluval 404 filter
Air pump
stand (pine)
lights (basic florescent but would like to upgrade)
2 heaters
water conditioner

We paid $818 for everything which after checking out many specialty and chain stores we found to be a good deal in our area (I thought I'd share the price so other setting up a new tank could get an idea of cost).

Soooooo, with all that in mind, if it was your tank what type of fish would you go with? I'd LOVE to have a saltwater tank of course, but honestly I'm scared to. So we are going to go with freshwater but would still like to have some colorful fish. I like the albino oscars so I thought I may go with those but if someone out there has some ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thank you for your time for reading this and I'd appreciate any help you're willing to give!

-Rochelle

Hi Rochelle. Good luck with the tank. A 125 gives you so many options. Why not peruse a few of the lfs in your area and see what fish really appeal to you? Then you can come back here and discuss them. :D

Brian

You seem like a cichlid person (oscars and all). I think the problem with oscars is that they will end up limiting your other fish options significantly. And you will probably be only able to keep 2 at the most in the 125 gallon, so it could be a sparse tank. Now that is not always a bad thing. But look at Convicts. They are a pretty cool cichlid and can often be kept in with other fish (of a decent size).

But as Brian says, look at your LFS and see what sort of fish strike your fancy (remember they are often young version and often much smaller than they can get). Make a list and then see what people have to say about compatibility.

Tkos - I like your idea about making a list and then asking. We are going to a huge specialty store this weekend to get some ideas so I think I'll bring a note pad and then come back here.

Thanks again :D

No prob. Looking forward to your ideas! It is all so exciting when you get a new big tank that often you want to jump right in. A little planning makes things so much better.

Not trying to change the topic here, but you are going to need another filter for that tank. A single Fluval 404 does not move around enough water to do a good job of filtering a 125g tank. You would only be turning over (filtering) the tank water 2.7 times an hour, and once the filter is filled with media and collecting waster, that can drop to low 2x an hour. You are likely going to run into a lot of problems with just the 404. Fluval only rates that filter for a 100g tank, and the manufacturers ratings are usually very optimistic.

I feel like the filter Police :(

grimlock3000 - thanks for the info. We were told we would be able to get buy with it in the beginning (I hope that's true). I saw how expensive they are so I'll start looking now.

If you haven't already set things up, would the store let you upgrade to a more powerful filter? Alternatively, you could always get a HOB filter cheap online and a powerhead would stir things up if you get fish that like a strong current - they're not too expensive either.

Good luck and have fun fish shopping!

You might wish to use that fluval and add a HOB as well. You are looking at a turn over rate of 5-6 times per hour, so around 600 gph in that tank. The canisters are usually best at over filtration but the HOB give the advantage of easy cleaning and easy addition of media.

Also remember that you don't have to constantly change the media in your filters. During tank cleanings you should take the old media and rinse it (preferably in the old removed tank water). This gets rid of gunk but keeps all of the valuable bacteria. Changing the media means you have to start growing bacteria all over again. I have persoanly been using the same media for going on 1 year now.

"We were told we would be able to get buy with it in the beginning (I hope that's true). I saw how expensive they are so I'll start looking now."

Getting good water flow and filtration established early on is very important in getting a tank established. You should really pick up a power filter ASAP, for cheap prices, check out:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/.

Here are some of the good pics for your situation:

Aquaclear 500 $29.99
Emperor 400 $36.99
Penguin 330 $21.99

Any of the three would be good. I would reccomend the Aquaclear becuase it has the highest flow rate. The Penguin 330 and Emperor 400 have Bio Wheels though, which help with bio filtering.

I think I will go with the Fluval and then add on the aquaclear 500. I use the aquaclear's on my turtles tank and it works great.

The reason I said they were expensive was the price tag on the fluval that was included on our kit was $216. I went and checked out ebay and see that they are cheaper on there.

Is there anything else I should be upgrading/changing? I was going to stay away from an undergravel filter because I have read they are not good for large tanks. I hope that's right. :?

You've spent so much already that you may as well do it right. You can buy the fluval from bigalsonline for around $70. Another fluval on that tank would be ideal IMO.

Take it slow Rochelle, there's no need to rushthings. You can add the filter at your convenience as long as the tank isn't bustin with fishies. :)

Ummm, and I really don't want to disagree with tkos on this but I think a 125 gal will support far more than 2 oscars :wink:

Haven't kept them, just knwo what I have read. Regardless Oscars really limit tank mates. They have to be big enough not to tempt the oscar to try and eat them (which is pretty big).

It isn't so much that a 125 could biologically and sizewise support them but they do tend to be aggressive with each other.

Hmmm $216 for the Fluval 404? Here's a thought then. Bigals is $85. Return it to the lfs and buy 2 from bigal. Even with the shipping it is less than what you paid for 1 :wink: This gives you plenty of filtering capacity.

As for the oscars Tkos, they are very aggressive but tend to do well with fish their own size. I once kept 4 in a 55, along with a clown knife. The knife eventually out grew the tank, but the oscars did fine.

Couple other things to think about. Personally, If I were getting a tank that big, I'd rather have many smaller fish than a couple lunker Oscars. Nothing wrong with Oscars, but for a relative newbie, community tanks are usually more fun. There are more colors out there in smaller fw fish than you might think.

Take your time deciding on fish! Research what you might like, and compatability requirements. If you decide on the oscars, of course thats fine, but if I had just one big tank, it'd have a bunch of different, colorful fish in it.

JMO,

good luck, you are doing great so far, not rushing it, research first!

BrianNY - I've been looking at prices for the Fluval 404 and that is a lot. Now I don't know if they marked it up because they were trying to make the package look like a great "deal" or what. After talking to everyone here and doing more research we are taking the tank back and piecing one together with the equipment we need/want. We are going with a 135 gallon glass tank with a stand and canopy for $600 and then buying the filter's, air pump, etc. seperately. It seems it would come out the same (cost wise) but we would be getting the right equipment.

corvuscorax - I agree, no Oscars. I like the way they look but a community tank with a bunch of colorful fish would be more interesting to look at. We're going with that :D

Wise choices Rochelle. :D They just used their standard formula to mark it up more than likely. With the internet, it isn't only buyer beware anymore, it's seller beware also. Makes it so easy to compare prices.

I bought my Eheim 2026 from my lfs for $249 - I saw it at Big Al's online for $149 including the media!!!

I try to tell myself that if the lfs did not pull my pants down with the price of equipment, then they could not pay the rent with whatever they make selling fish. And I don't relish the thought of buying fish online.

However, I plan on buying replacement media online! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom