new 2 gal hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyman164

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got a new two gallon hex tank and introduced three platies into the tank i learnt all about the dangers of ammonia in the tank and was wondering if i was pushing the limits of my new tank with my three platies. they seem to be happy and i know that 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish rule. will they be okay?

Eeeeek!

Two gallons is only good for a betta or paradise fish..and even then it is our equilavent to permanently living in a 500sf studio! It can be done but not every individual can handle it . Lil froggies and snails find them roomie.

Just throwing out the fish inch/gal rule of thumb and assuming all your fish grow a stunted adult length of two inches..you would still have 6 inches of fish in 2 gallons.
How long has this set up been going?
Do you have a test kit? It s doubly important with small tanks that can lose stability nearly overnight.

the answer to your question..no, not for long.
Be doing a daily water change of 80% every other day if it were me and vacuuming with a baster. maybe someone has a solution or a platy keepr can chime in. Livebearers are messier than the labyrinths I keep and that is the most I care to know..^_^ The color is not worth it for me. :p :oops:

Definately take the platies back, they need room to swim and will do poorly in that small of a tank. And the ammonia buildup will kill them quick. You should go with Christmasfish's idea and get a betta, paradise fish, shrimp, or african dwarf frogs.

IMO, a 2g hex is *not* adequate for a paradise fish.

I'd stick with snails and shrimps, or a betta-- though they would probably appreciate a wider, shallower tank instead (I kept one in a 2g bowl that was as wide around as a decent size dinner plate and filled with plants so it was "jungle-like," with great success).

I am going out to buy a new tank tonight and was wondering what size i should buy. I am thinkiong about buying a ten gallon tank at a pet store in one of the local towns that are near me i will go and buy another tank tonight. :mrgreen:

:D Look for those good deals at the small shops and retail....
I have a 40 gallon I paid 30 bucks for. 20 gallon longs are cheap sometimes too.
With a larger body of water more forgiving of minor mistakes, you can get to the FUN part quicker. 8)

And don't get a "kit" since the the parts are not always the sum of the whole. Plus you can start with the most important parts and work up the rest.

Ie; Instead of fitted lid..you have a condensation cover..instead of cheap crap brand HOB, you get cheap UGF til you can buy a nice AQ or fluval.
And be sure to buy test kits! Specaly the NH and NO. They are your measure, your guide and early warning system...

Thanx guys i really needed your advice
I just went out and bought a wisper filtration system and a wisper heater for my new 10 gal tank it really peid off for them to be in a larger tank they seem much more happier than they were before. I am planing on introducing a bottom feeder to the tank. Three platies are doing much better now

I'm not a fan of whisper filters or heaters. When they fail, I'd go with an AquaClear filter, and a visi-therm heater.

two plecos just introduced tonight about a half an hour ago.

But one que?

I t doesn't seem like there is any alge in my tank what do i do to introduce some or is there some there i just cant see it?

pluco??? don't know the specific type but he has white spots on a brownish black body and is only a few inches long right now :roll:

If they are small right now, ask your LFS if they will take them back when they get to big for your tank. If they will, take one back right now. Two plecos for that tank will be too much even if they are very small. Then also find out how big is too big for your tank and how long it will take him to get there. Don't try and slow the growth process by limiting feeding and if someone tells you that they will only grow to the size of the tank... leave immediately and find someone else! Plecos like to eat the algae wafers you can buy at the LFS or cut peices of zuccinni, which you would need a way to keep them from floating. I like the platic rings or the clips that suction cup to the side of the tank
Personally I don't see why you can't keep a single pleco in your tank as long as you keep in mind that he WILL outgrow it with time. Then you have to be prepaired to either find him a new home, or save up to buy a much bigger tank for his next growth period. Welcome to MTS! :lol:
Keep your chin up, and just hang in there. Whenever you have time, just go thru all the older posts. Just hearing about how other fish are kept and the mistakes that every one here has made will help you from getting discouraged. I learned more in the first 4 hours on the site than I did in 3 months of killing fish ( :oops: ) and reading books! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom