New 20 g aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay so then the chlorine couldn't have possible been the case of my bacteria decrease. I did have a long power outage while cycling the tank which lasted more than 8 hours, however the 4 ppm of ammonia was still processed to 0 ammonia and nitrites in 24 hours so that couldn't have been the case. How long would the mini cycle take?

Okay so then the chlorine couldn't have possible been the case of my bacteria decrease. I did have a long power outage while cycling the tank which lasted more than 8 hours, however the 4 ppm of ammonia was still processed to 0 ammonia and nitrites in 24 hours so that couldn't have been the case. How long would the mini cycle take?

What's ph?

I've had mini-cycles take 2 weeks. That was a bad one.

Also have you cleaned the filter or anything? Anything else added or changed which might have killed off the bacteria population?

The pH is around 7.2-7.8 so it's about neutral. I did dip the filter in aquarium water to shake some of the debris off as suggested

Okay I guess I will keep changing 20 percent of the water daily until it's over.. No point exhausting the issue too much. What do you guys think about my upcoming stock.. I have 3 mollies and 3 platies so far and I'm thinking of getting a school of 6 blood fin tetras, 6 corydora catfish and a honey gourami

The aqueon power 20 filter came in the mail yesterday, so I set it up alongside my top fin 20 filter. Came back today and i could only see three fish in the water. Two were hiding in the castle, and I couldn't find the other molly and platy. Opened up the aqueon filter, and she enough the fish had gotten sucked in there. The platy was mutilated and dead, whereas the molly was somewhat alive. She looks like she's about to die soon, because of her inactivity in the corner of the tank :(

For the past few days I have been testing ammonia and consistently getting less than 0.25 without doing water changes every day. What I failed to keep a tab on was the nitrite. I tested today and got a reading of about 1-3 ppm..

What I find really boggling is that the fish were extremely healthy prior to today. It seems like they died just after I put the new filter in.. However, I'm predicting that it was due to nitrites.. Not the filter..

Good news is that my bottle of prime and my new heater came in the mail today. I dosed fully for 20g. The hydor heater also arrived, because I was sick of the fluctuations in the standard heater that came with the starter kit.

If its a new filter, then but some of the used top fin filter cartridge in the new filter and let it sit for a week, so the bacteria can grow into the new filter faster

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm planning on using both filters, however I will do that. Molly just died, it was cut up from the filter. The platies appear to have black spots on them..

For the aqueon filter.. I'm surprised with the design of it.. The intake tube doesn't fit into place, but it sucked up when the filter is turned on. When I came home, the intake tube was somehow fallen which leaves a huge hole in which the water is sucked into. I don't know how it came out, but my fish were mutilated because of it...

I'm so confused on what happened to my fish.

:( This is so sad because I spent so much time preparing for this NOT to happen

Okay, upon analysis, I have come to the conclusion that the intake tube had fallen prior to the fish being sucked in. I see this as a design flaw in aqueon power filter

Maybe it was a manufacturing error as to why it did not fit well (the intake tube and the screen). Remove it from the tank, reassemble it, and make sure the pieces fit snug.
Sorry about the fish :(

Maybe it was a manufacturing error as to why it did not fit well (the intake tube and the screen). Remove it from the tank, reassemble it, and make sure the pieces fit snug.
Sorry about the fish :(

No the thing is that the intake tube only stays on when the filter is on. (the pressure keeps it in). So not sure how it fell. Since I did test positive for nitrites, I will do 50 pwc for a week until my mini cycle is actually over. In the meantime I will using some thread to tie the intake tube to the filter, so it won't come off again. I sent aqueon an email about this issue. Also, should I use 2 ml of prime, which treats 20g of water everyday or just to treat the amount of water that I'm changing.

That is too bad about the intake design. I am not familiar with that brand. Have owned a variety of filters and the Fluval AquaClear series is my favorite.
Good thing with the thread. Hope it stays put. I was going to suggest Teflon tape.
Either volume of Prime should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom