New 20 Gallon coming July 4, What would you put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadandstacy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are getting this tank to be setup as an Aggressive Tropical tank.....

We have looked at the following fish...

African Cichlids
Cichlids
Tiger Oscar 3"
and our pecosamus(sp?)

Would you do anything different? Can we put a Beta in with those fish?

I would say no to the oscar, it would need 55 gallon at least, though many people say 75. I would also say no to the betta, he might get torn up pretty bad in an aggressive tank.

I would stick with africans, there are many good onces to chose from.

What kind of Pleco is it?

I would advise against mixing African (specifically Rift Lake)and S. American or C. American cichlids in the same tank. There are differing levels of aggression, not to mention a different body language. What could be seen as "invitation" by one species may actually be "come any closer and I'll whoop you". There are different water requirements as well.

A betta wouldn't last long with the listed fish.

An oscar will quickly outgrow a 20g tank, reaching an adult length around 13". As far s the Africans are concerned, it depends on the species. What other cichlids have you looked at?

Bryan

Ok lets do it this way....what would you guys put in an aggressive tank that is 20 Gallons?

Not sure what the other cichlids are that is all the tank said. THey were white, yellow or this greenish leopard looking ones.

You need to do your research on the types of cichlids you like before you buy them. I started out in a 10 gal, moved to a 29, and am now at a 55, to keep the cichlids happy. Cichlids tend to get bigger than people realize, many at 6" or more, and those fish need room to swim around or they won't be happy. Cichlids also are very aggressive for the most part (you should really research individual species to know which are more aggressive than others), and you might end up with some dead fish or have to return some to the lfs because of aggression. I've finally found a balance in my tank, but it's taken over a year to do so. If you're willing to do the extra research though, you could have a lovely tank. Oh, and have you thought about dwarf puffers? They are FW, and are the cutest little killers you can buy (yes, at 1" grown extremely aggressive!). You should look into them if you haven't before, because you could put quite a few in a 20 gal.

Okay, I have few ideas to throw out.

Tanganyikan cichlids. A pair of a Neolamprologus species such as N, brichardi or N. leleupi or a pair of a Julidichromis species such as the transcriptus. These are cave spawning fish so you need to pile some rockwork up in the tank for them. Both species like to hover out in the open above the rocks. The brichardi are prolific spawners once they get started so you would need someway to get rid of fry.

http://www.gcca.net/fom/Neolamprologus_brichardi.htm
http://www.gcca.net/fom/Neolamprologus_leleupi.htm

In this tank you could also add a few shell dwelling cichlids such Neo. multifasciatus. As the nickname states they use shells to spawn in and for shelter. Three to four shells per fish are adequate. The multies are also prolific spawners.

http://www.gcca.net/fom/N_multifasciatus.htm

Another idea I had would be a tank consisting of either a pair of kribs or a pair of jewel cichlids.

A group of Apistos or Rams. Neither can really be considered aggressive but they are spunky and colorful fish.

HTH some,
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom